type of waders?

Gspman

Dec 2, 2014
North LA county
Hey all. ive come to value all your opinions and all things hunting..
ok so here is the deal. I have only hunted ducks in the past from shore on small ponds with a good dog or from a boat. im looking at next duck season at wister or san J. I was un able to get out this year. my old waders are sock foot and old and need to be replaced. for wister and san J should i get sock foot with lace boots or boot waders? is the wister mud so bad it will suck a lace up boot off? I also hate walking in boot waders is there much walking at san J or wister? My current dog is a GSP and is pretty good with ducks and water BUT he'd rather find quail so some days he is a Pain in the A-- when it comes to ducks. im sure by next year he will be better so i dont plan on spending all day walking out in the pond but decoy set ups and what not will require it anyway so

Boot waders
OR
sock waders with lace ups.

thanks

I and about 90% of my waterfowling buddies use Cabela breathable boot foot.....I will say neoprene boot foot last longer and are what I use in the cold water conditions.

Attachments

• henshaw 1-29-11 033.JPG
    henshaw 1-29-11 033.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 24
thanks Sprig you are a duck killing guru. great picture. im starting to look now for next season maybe i can find some sales.

so what im getting so far is boot foot are fine for wister mud? that makes it much easier then having to lace up a pair of boots on top. i was thinking breathable as well since its so dam hot down ther. ill get them big enough to put on some heavy under armor.

I have no problems for the most part with Wister mud and boot foot waders.....Have they pulled out.....Yep......But the benefit of not having to touch the mud with muddy boots is worth it to me.

I wear light cotton duck pants & Under Armor cold weather base layer pants with my breathables......Cold or hot it works for me at Wister.

The cabelas breathable waders are more or less the standard.

My only bitch is the inseam on the chest waders is to small for a 6'4" guy.

The wader pants they make have a taller inseam so I wear them most of the time.

I pretty much wear what sprig does, wicking base layer then adding as temps require.

Go breathable all the way, or at least a breathable upper.... We live in socal, at it's coldest, it's not cold. Go with a boot foot. Wister mud sucks (as I found out this year). Your foot WILL come out of the boot. Just get used to it at Wister. I found that if I walk on my tippy toes at Wister, I don't get consumed by the mud as much.

Everywhere else I've duck hunted, my boot footed waders have been perfect (SJ, Kern, local rivers, Mendota, Los Banos, Sac Valley).

here is a photo of Sluester gearing up! do the draw string bags work better than traditional bags?

Attachments

• slu.jpg
    slu.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 61
ilovesprig said:
I and about 90% of my waterfowling buddies use Cabela breathable boot foot.....I will say neoprene boot foot last longer and are what I use in the cold water conditions.

DITTO I have had mine for about 5 years and they are great

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu