Ultimate youth rifle?

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
So as most of you know my kids are a big part of my hunting and shooting life. My older boys 10 and 8 are both really small. We go to range often where they shoot their 22s. I wanted to get them a center fire rifle but it had to have a few features for it to work for their size. It had to be short, light, and have very little recoil.
My round of choice for this gun was 300 Blackout it has very little recoil and we already have an anealer and dies for converting the thousands of 223 brass we have. This round will also be a great round under 150 yards for deer, Javelina, and coyote. I know it has it's limitations but it fits our needs. I don't expect these boys to be making 300 yard shots on Javelina next spring but under 100 will be more than doable for them now. I will more than likely bump them up to a 243 when they are 12 but for now BO will be a great round to get their feet wet at 100 yards. My 243 knocks the snot out of them when they shoot it and they will quickly become recoil shy if they stay on it.
Now for weight I needed something short and light 300 BO loves a short barrel. Ruger makes a 300 BO American Ranch Rifle 16" barrel but it only comes in a full length of pull. In fact no one I could find made a bolt action 300 BO that was a bolt gun this size.
For the length I was able to trade the full size stock for a compact stock. Ruger has done a great job at making these Americans simple and easily interchangeable. So now the LOP is 12.5 inches and the total length it almost exactly 35". I haven't got to weigh it yet but I would say it comes in just over 6lbs.
For the optic I went to FFA today and picked up a Vortex Crossfire scope 3x9 with a v plex reticle and Leupold rings. FFA has so much glass now it's insane go check them out.
All in all this is a simple little gun it will be inexpensive to shoot and it will get my boys on the 100 yard range.

IMG_1239.JPG

Last edited:
Drew,

Very nice for the boys......And, I got a layout for a 100 bucks......:blush:

ps.....As soon as turkey season is over, I'll be down.

That looks awesome thanks for sharing. I've been debating what to get when my 8yr old granddaughter is ready to step up. 243 seams like a big step for her as well. Plus like you, we already shoot 300BO so it seams like a good fit.

That looks awesome thanks for sharing. I've been debating what to get when my 8yr old granddaughter is ready to step up. 243 seams like a big step for her as well. Plus like you, we already shoot 300BO so it seams like a good fit.
Very easy to do just purchase the ranch rifle and you can buy the compact stock for $79 on midway. Keep the full size stock for when they get older. I actually like the compact size a lot for coyote hunting it's going to be a fun fast acquisition gun. I think it really is a great first center fire rifle for kids.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu