underwaterhunting

bloodlover

Jun 3, 2015
We shot some giants yesterday off of point loma.

Attachments

• IMG_20150808_125400.jpg
    IMG_20150808_125400.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
The preserve off La Jolla? Just kidding, those are some good eats right there! Congrats

I am new to California's fisheries (did all of my spearing in Hawaii), but isn't Sheepshead classified as vulnerable precisely because the large males are the usual take, forcing the large females to change sex?

jcourson said:
I am new to California's fisheries (did all of my spearing in Hawaii), but isn't Sheepshead classified as vulnerable precisely because the large males are the usual take, forcing the large females to change sex?

Yes, but there are a lot of them, I see them regularly. I'm not positive that they really know the full population to make the call. The issue with them as well is they are pretty easy to shoot, they stay on the bottom and if you sneak up they don't really move like Calico's or other reef fish. I stopped taking them because frankly the meat is a little hard to work with (you need to specifically prepare it the correct way) and I like a little more of a challenge. As you can see by my avatar, I've definitely taken Sheephead and had a great time doing it.

Nice shooting guys!

We had the same problem with Uhu in Hawaii. Fortunately, they are able to switch sex in both directions. Even so, I made a point of not going after the largest after seeing the math on how much it effects the individual reed system.
Not really trying to judge, since a specific reef (or in this case, kelp bed?) can have a very healthy population even if other ones don't.
Mostly just trying to be sure that I understand how my take effects the local system here. It always takes me a while to feel like a have a comfortable grip on it when I go to a new area.

jcourson said:
We had the same problem with Uhu in Hawaii. Fortunately, they are able to switch sex in both directions. Even so, I made a point of not going after the largest after seeing the math on how much it effects the individual reed system.
Not really trying to judge, since a specific reef (or in this case, kelp bed?) can have a very healthy population even if other ones don't.
Mostly just trying to be sure that I understand how my take effects the local system here. It always takes me a while to feel like a have a comfortable grip on it when I go to a new area.
Never hurts to ask. If a question occurs to you, others have probably wondered as well. It's good for discussion and everyone learns.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu