Utah General Deer

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
I burned point this year to draw general buck tag in Utah. Talked with Drew and we decided to have his oldest son (Lil Drew) go with me.

Long story short, almost did not make the hunt and had to cut down the hunt 9 day season to 2 full days plus two travel days to fill two tags.

I did my e-scouting and picked a spot that was not recommended anywhere online just based on terrain I see mule deer when I elk hunt.

Day 1: Drive…Drive…Drive, get to the dirt road to the canyon I marked on onX. There was a deer crossing sign right before it, took it as a good sign. About 10 minutes up the dirt road, I see a 2x3 200y off. Asked Drew if he wanted to kill it. Said yep, game on. He grabbed rifle, ammo, tripod to shoot off of and I grabbed my gear.

Buck disappeared in the thick stuff so I start walking higher…I should note, I am wearing t-shirt, basketball shorts, and gym shoes..and left my gun at the truck. 15 minutes goes by and I spot a very mature buck at 600 yards. I run over, grab drew. We put the sneak on and got to 390 yards. In all the excitement over the size of this buck, took us too long to get ready and he stotted off. He was a solid 4x4, wide from eart tip to ear tip and and at least 24” tall.

My dumb but not having my rifle and then trying to get drew on him cost us a great buck.

That night we saw 6 bucks, 18 doe. No shots fired

Day 2: saw 14 doe in morning, heavy wind picked up and saw nothing else. Hiked up high and Long day of glassing.

Day 3. Get up highest peak we could drive to and glass. Saw 3 cow elk, not a single deer. About 10 o’clock decided hiking is for dummies and time to road hunt. Plus is was cold and my truck was warm. Drive down for a while and felt a presence and knew I was about to kill a buck. Then saw a couple of doe about 600 yards out.

Drew and I get our hike to about 300 yards from them and I start picking them apart one by one…22 doe, not even a single speak. What the heck.

After watching them for 30 minutes or so and 13 of them walked to about 100y from us. I decided to stand up and immediately saw the mighty 2x1 from night one. Having two tags and only a few hours left….I decided to say a prayer hoping my 338 RUM pushing 260 gr hammers 3050 fps had enough juice to take him down. He started to turn so I squeezed the trigger.

To my surprise, it didn’t take a step. Glad I had enough gun for the situation. It even made a lung painting on the rock behind it. Cut him up, it hailed during the process but we prevailed. Grateful @Truduct makes his kids go to the gym so he carried my meat for me. It was enough work getting myself back.

We went in town, grabbed ice and went back for more. Had another close call at a forky at 40 yards. Got away. We decided to go up high and glass into the valley. Hour or so of glassing, no movement. Agreed to drive back to valley and as soon as we get to truck I see two deer and the rear one had a familiar look. Nose right up to her close and personal.

Go time again. I grabbed the tricer tripod and GC and we sneak over. Drew gets set up on him and boom. Dead on feet buck arch. I told Drew to put another for measure but he assumed me the buck was dead…then it fell. Got to work and was at the truck by end of shooting light.

Two dead bucks in 7 hours. Great couple of days.

Thanks Utah!

92F706AB-A4B5-4AD4-A2F9-B4F674796086.jpegA8888858-6F11-45F2-8DBE-2A78A191E89F.jpeg

Nice work gentlemen! Sometimes you just gotta get it over with and put a ome meat in the freezer. Although I have a feeling the Miles household will be buying a couple extra freezers this year.

That 4x4 will live rent free in my head for a long time and remind me to never walk up a hill without my rifle. It’s been a while since I had a good reminder about that.

Reactions: TRICER and 180ls1
Dude...working smarter ..not harder..and bucks by the truck...shocking..strong work!

Reactions: JakeSCH

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu