Virginia white tail play by play

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
Took the red eye to Dulles last night. My brother Bob picked me up and drove me down to his farm. My other brother Tom will drive up this afternoon. Chilly and clear today with a west wind coming down off the wooded hills at the back of his property. New moon just a day or two away. We'll have two days with lows in the 20's, then warming and rain on Sunday.
The rut is on here: when we got to his place he drove me up to his hunting lodge. On the fields above, a buck, probably forked horn, was racing around in circles like a dog an a rabbit's scent. I've never seen anything like it. Had to have been on a doe's scent. Crazy, and in broad daylight, probably 8:30-9:00. I didn't have the sense to grab my camera for a video, sorry. Later on we drove the Kubota up to check my stand. Busted a nice buck (at least 3x3, wide and tall) with a doe, then saw another smaller buck in the distance. That was after 11am! Arriving a the stand, we saw a new rub about 10 yards from the old one that's in my avatar (from last year), 20-30 yards from my stand.
They may not be bedding down, but I need to sleep a bit. Later.
By the way, DFW might want to look at this CA tag. $228 total for year for non resident, good for 1 bear, 3 turkeys, and six (count 'em) deer!

Attachments

• Don.png
    Don.png
    576.6 KB · Views: 109
Good hunting Don. Sounds like you won't have much trouble filling a tag or two. You're having an epic season! Probably have to buy another freezer.

Thanks gentlemen. Beautiful spot, and lots of history. Blue Ridge mountains to our north. I'm told Thomas Jefferson hunted this mountain. We'll see what the future holds for us.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416536950.407806.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416536950.407806.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 24
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416537017.022940.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416537017.022940.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 21
I'm seriously jealous of you lol. Good luck. Looking forward to reading your reports and seeing the pics of what you get

Quiet and cold. Almost no wind. Birds and squirrels having their way with things for the moment.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416576000.015834.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416576000.015834.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 25
A mature buck grunted over to my right awhile back, just over the ridge. Never materialized. I didn't call. Saving that for later

What a nice setup Don. Your blind view is awesome. Keep us posted!

Not much this am. Bob passed on a doe w yearling fawn, Tom busted a couple on his way to the stand. Wind has been shifty today but they have to come out to eat!

Wind didn't cooperate this afternoon. Bob and I saw nothing all afternoon. As light faded, a lone doe came out of the bush, pawing and snorting as she looked directly at Tom. He wasn't sure if he could shoot left handed over his right shoulder. Well, he proved that he can do that, and hit a small target ;)
More to follow...

Quiet again this am with a gentle unfavorable breeze, so I thought I'd try calling. This little guy could be heard within seconds of a doe bleat. Came down obliquely across behind me though, in and out of brush. I don't think he was coming to the call as much as he may have been reassured by it. He was moving rapidly and was headed toward the fence, so I took the shot as soon as I could tell he was legal. Didn't think he was more than a fork, but we are breaking the ice.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416661435.546677.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416661435.546677.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 26

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu