Want to start Bow hunting

Nickrp

Dec 26, 2012
New guy here from N. OC
So I want to start hunting, I have since i was a kid. No one in my family hunts so I will be starting from scratch and relying on info off the net and anyone willing to help. I want to start bow hunting, and yes i know its a lot more difficult then rifle/shotgun, but i think i am up for the challenge.

As i said I dont know any hunters, so i have no one to go to for advice and dont know much about brands and such.

I have been looking around on the net for "packages" and i came across the below package. Any thoughts? Is this just a junk setup, or is it something i could get away with using for a few years?

http://www.huntersfriend.com/Parker_Pioneer_XP_Close_Out/compound_bow_package_discount_cheap.htm

I am trying to stay around that price point for my bow setup because i know there are other accesories/fees i will need to pay to get started.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

For that price your doing pretty good. But comparing it up in todays archery world I think your just a little bit below average as far as the whole package goes. Nothing wrong with that setup but if you could cough up $300 more you will get quite a step up in quality. Look at the classified section here on this site. There is a Bowtech Assassin for sale for a very fair price,and it may be the last bow you ever have to buy. That Assassin is loaded with quality. And I think its 10 times the bow then the one your looking at.I think if you buy the Parker you will want something else within a year. Just my opinion. Good Luck. Also a lot of my friends shoot Assassins and they shoot very well.

Invisible man said:
For that price your doing pretty good. But comparing it up in todays archery world I think your just a little bit below average as far as the whole package goes. Nothing wrong with that setup but if you could cough up $300 more you will get quite a step up in quality. Look at the classified section here on this site. There is a Bowtech Assassin for sale for a very fair price,and it may be the last bow you ever have to buy. That Assassin is loaded with quality. And I think its 10 times the bow then the one your looking at.I think if you buy the Parker you will want something else within a year. Just my opinion. Good Luck. Also a lot of my friends shoot Assassins and they shoot very well.

X2, see if that Assassin is still for sale in the classifieds. Sweet bow!

Welcome to SCH! Check out the new Cabela's regular. Little more but new! Also check out the videos on YouTube about it.

My as well pick up crack as a habit. It's probly cheaper and your marriage will last longer

that assassin looks awesome, only problem is its a bit out of my price range as i would still need to pic up some more odds and ends before i could even start shooting correct? my setup would go from around 400 to closer to 800 right?

OK here is another thought, what about all the packages on this page, would any of them be worth it?? or would i be better off just picking up each piece individually?

If your in san diego anytime soon go to the bow n arrow shop in lake side i got a diamond bow a quality release and half a dozen gold tip arrows for $550

I would say save up a little more money and buy a good set up so 6 months down the road you don't get over the cheap one and end up spending more money in the long run to get a better quality bow. Look at PSE the packages are a good price and its a quality bow that you won't grow out over to fast plus the off brand bows can be harder to get parts for if something goes wrong.

Thanks all! Sounds like i need to save more!! Appreciate all the advice and the prevention of me making a dumb snap decision!

If your like me, I count on resale value. When I get a new bow I sale the old one and get what money I can from it. It helps soften the blow a little.( By blow I mean Wifey punches me in the head for buying a new one) I not sure what the resale value is on that bow. Or you can keep it and convert it to a fish killer.

I'm looking to get into bow hunting, and target as well. There is only one small shop up here (Ojai). I see that you guys are big fans of the Bowtech line. Do any of you shoot Matthews bow's? The one little local guy up here is a big Matthews fan. I have been looking all over the web, and forums and it seems like there are people that swear by each.

Matthews seems to be a bit on the higher price range vrs Bowtech though. I don't think I'm ready to spend upwards of $1,000 for my first bow. Well my first bow since I was 15 or so.

I'm seeing Bowtech Assassin's RAK new for $600.00. which seems like a very good bow to start with. And once I get used to shooting again I can upgrade componets.

the other route I was thinking is a used Matthews Z7. What do you guys think about buying used Bow's?

I shoot an old hand me down Martin now I do use extremely outdated gear but I'm getting kills under my belt and will not buy a new bow untill I kill a deer. Although the practice I'm getting is te best of its kind I've been under 30 yards on countless does and go full draw on them just to Learn what I can and can't get away with movement wise. I've taken my buddies and watched them shoot does out of my spots. It's rad to here that smack I'm just waiting for some horns

Emichie said:
I'm looking to get into bow hunting, and target as well. There is only one small shop up here (Ojai). I see that you guys are big fans of the Bowtech line. Do any of you shoot Matthews bow's? The one little local guy up here is a big Matthews fan. I have been looking all over the web, and forums and it seems like there are people that swear by each.

Matthews seems to be a bit on the higher price range vrs Bowtech though. I don't think I'm ready to spend upwards of $1,000 for my first bow. Well my first bow since I was 15 or so.

I'm seeing Bowtech Assassin's RAK new for $600.00. which seems like a very good bow to start with. And once I get used to shooting again I can upgrade componets.

the other route I was thinking is a used Matthews Z7. What do you guys think about buying used Bow's?

Never shot a Mathews. You're right though, they sure are pricey! I don't particularly care for them. You can do your own research on that. I've shot the Assassin and my bro in law has one as well. VERY nice bow at a reasonable price. As for used bows, I'd be very careful with that unless you know its history. I'd only buy a used bow from someone I knew and could varify how it was cared for.

Get ahold of Sherpa, He is selling his bowtech. Its completely set up and I think its in your price range. But you better contact him quick. It wont last long.

I shoot a Matthews and have no problems.

Your best bet is go shoot these bows and feel the differences then you know what to buy.

Looks like I am going to save a bit more and then start going to a few of the close shops and maybe shoot some of these bows and see what i like. Once I figure that out I can then start looking for a deal i guess. Oh yeah and then learn to hunt :p

From experience... I'd stay away from a PSE for your first bow... harsh draw cycles and generally short brace heights make shooting less enjoyable to learn. Bowtech/Diamonds are definitely what I'd recommend +1 for that assassin that is posted on here. That is a sweet shooting bow that you'd likely not have to buy another for a very long time... if ever.

Yeah right now I'm leaning towards the assassin. I don't think I will buy the one on here though. He wants $650 for his bow, and I see assassin RAK all ready to go brand new for $600.

I wish I had a shop anywhere close to me that I could shoot some of the bows. But as far as I can tell the closest place of any size is in Fullerton. So I would be looking at a 2 hour drive each way to try them out. The little shop by me has a little indoor range but no bows to test.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu