Waterfowl Shooting improvement

Cristian1022

Jul 23, 2016
Menifee
Hello,

I been hunting ducks for three seasons now and had decent hunts. This season I have sucked tremendously and unable to shoot one single duck. I got a new shotgun, 870 Super Mag and I haven't pattern tested it or anything before getting into the field. That's my fault. I am also left eye dominant and shoot right handed so that jacks me up a bit. Any recommendation on what to do to improve my shooting skills. I know Raahaugees has clays and there is BLM in Perris to do some shooting. Not sure if there were other tips experience waterfowlers had to improve. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to pattern the gun at least 5 rounds per choke in my book. I bought a new one this year and found out it was way off put some shims in and now it's working great. If your in san diego you can go to p2k range for trap.

Big tip is to mount your gun with your eyes closed, when you open them see where your looking at as dar as sights, do this a few times and you will see how far off you are?

Someone should chime in soon with more fed back but you got to pattern first.

Last edited:
OK so let's get the basics, what ammo and choke are you running?

Go pattern your gun, it could be shooting poor.
Go shoot some trap and skeet. Get some confidence. Start shooting at birds that are a lot closer

OK so let's get the basics, what ammo and choke are you running?

Go pattern your gun, it could be shooting poor.
Go shoot some trap and skeet. Get some confidence. Start shooting at birds that are a lot closer

Thanks for the tips.

I'm shooting 3 inch BB on a modified choke.

You need to pattern the gun at least 5 rounds per choke in my book. I bought a new one this year and found out it was way off put some shims in and now it's working great. If your in san diego you can go to p2k range for trap.

Big tip is to mount your gun with your eyes closed, when you open them see where your looking at as dar as sights, do this a few times and you will see how far off you are?

Someone should chime in soon with more fed back but you got to pattern first.

Awesome thanks, Im in the Menifee area. I will definitely be practicing the mounting exercise you mentioned.

this is a bit risky, but it works for me, I head to elcentro, find a dirt road off the beaten path, things you will need, an old sheet, 2 10' sticks of PVC 1/2", ductape , red paint and rope. ductape the end of the sheet to 1 stick of the pvc, the other at the bottom for weight, tie the rope to the top of the pvc and one to the bottom. tie both ropes to the hitch, the top rope will be a bit longer to keep the sheet level, make sure its about 30' behind the truck, don't shoot the truck, paint a red dot in the middle, have the truck drive at 30 mph, you now have an 8' x 10' target to shoot at. kinda like a plane flying a banner, now step back 30 yards and try and hit the red dot as the truck passes, after each shot stop to see where you hit. my guess is with the 870 you will be high and behind, not only does it help pattern the gun but also helps on how far to lead a bird. its also fun as heck. the driver get nervous but to date I have never shot my truck. YET.

Reactions: Slayersmith
I don't think practice(the way you're shooting now) is going to make you a good shot and however your gun is patterning likely is not an issue. You should consider trying to shoot left handed or changing your dominant eye. You can research that, usually involves making it harder to see with your dominant eye with scotch tape or something translucent over a lens of your shooting glasses.

Ok that is very much the WRONG load to be duck hunting with. Switch over to 3" #3 or #4 shot. you will get over twice the amount of shot with the smaller shot size. BB is for geese :)

i can can suggest getting Hevi-Metal #3 is what i use and it works very well.

the dominant eye thing you can read about. you are not the first guy to shoot cross dominate but you can not leave both eyes open when you shoot, you have to close your left eye

I would also change your shells. Try #3s or even #4s. The biggest I generally shoot is #2s.

Edit... looks like Aeon beat me to this...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
cristian,

As Aron and Nick said, change the shells for starts. Sacrafice golden pellets at a distance for pattern density in closer. If you're hunting San Jac or Wister 3's will be fine. I'm a believer that speed kills so I shoot 3" 2s at geese almost all the time, so 3s for ducks is fine.

My advice is grab some steel shot, different speeds, sizes and brands, find a feed lot and go shoot pigeons or Euros until you get your confidence back. I own the same gun and use a factory choke, I think its a IC, don't know its rusted in but it kills snows at 50 yds no problem

Gotta get your confidence back

Reactions: MJB
I agree with #3's. Also, with a shotgun you are swinging it at a moving target not aiming it at a stationary target. Open both eyes and look at the target. The best piece of advise I got, many years ago, was to think of how you hit a baseball. You don't look down the bat and aim at it, you watch the ball, with both eyes opened, so you can judge speed and distance, and then swing the bat at it, keeping your eye on the ball. Obviously a little different with shooting a duck but also similar in some respects.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Thanks for the tips.

I'm shooting 3 inch BB on a modified choke.

Like everyone here has said your probably better off with 3" #1, #2, or #3. Most likely 1 1/8 oz because it's a little faster (1550fps with Kent or 1500fps with federal). The BB's are a bit aggressive and have much less pellets which would be the reason why you can't hit anything. As far as the left eye dominant factor, it almost doesn't matter IMO because you should shoot with both eyes open. The other big factor is just making sure your gun shoulders well for you and feels comfortable. Most 870's are versatile shotguns and work well with almost anyone. Just my 2 cents.

OK.......Many above have given you the advice on what shotshell you should be shooting for ducks (& other tips).......3" 1 1/8 3's...1550 fps...The brand in my book makes little difference as long as you stay with the same speed (although, I prefer 1550 Kent's).

First off, there's just some people that can shoot naturally, while others can not.....Most athletics (especially baseball players) I know shoot well.....Why?.....It's eye & hand coordination. Which is very much associated with sports in general.....Imagine a split end running across the field......When you throw the football. You don't throw at the runner. Your brain judges how fast he's running and it tells you how far in front of him you need to throw to hit him as he runs full speed......This is the same concept as hitting a duck as it flies by.....Some folks just get this, some don't.....Rarely will you over lead a duck.....Mostly because it will be farther than you think......Having a range finder will tell you how far your actually shooting.....I rarely shoot farther than 40 yards.

The fit of your gun is very important.....When you close your eyes and throw the gun to your shoulder, you should be looking straight/flat down the barrel.....If it appears your looking uphill down your barrel. Then your gun is shooting high.....So you not only need to lead the bird, but be below it as well.....I can tell you most Remington guns, including 870's shoot flat.....Hence, their popularity to hunters.

I like you, am left eye dominant.....I started my trap shooting life as a lefty, but back in that era, there were few left handed shotguns (I shot o/u's).....I loved my Model 12 trap gun and at about 12, I switched to right handed (I'm naturally right handed). To me, it's never been an issue.....I just close my left eye when firing.....When shooting trap or skeet, where shooting is from a stationary position, I would put the patch/dot over my left eye.

Lastly, your feet and where their placed is really important. I normally move them as I see the angle a bird is coming.....It allows you swing thru the bird.....Unfortunately, in many duck hunting situations your feet are stuck in one position or an other.....Then it's imperative to be able to swing at the hip.....You will normally have to pick a spot in front the bird, instead of swinging & following thru on it in this situation.

Lots of variables and different kinds of shots.....Having a gun that fits will help, shooting the correct duck loads will help, and of course, experience & practice will help.....Good luck

ps.....Here's a little thing I even do to this day.....I take my finger (or even my gun sometimes) and point it in front of birds (sea gulls & such) as they fly by.....You can do this in your yard or blind.....It gives you the concept on that eye & hand coordination needed on when to pull the trigger.

Good luck

ps.....Here's a little thing I even do to this day.....I take my finger (or even my gun sometimes) and point it in front of birds (sea gulls & such) as they fly by.....You can do this in your yard or blind.....It gives you the concept on that eye & hand coordination needed on when to pull the trigger.

You can do this with the garden hose too. Try spraying flying insects in the yard holding the nozzle at arms length. You will see how the lead makes the connection.

Try not to over think it. Waterfowl loads fly 1550 fps put it on the nose of the bird and pull don't try and lead to much you will hit the bird. Agreed #3 or #4 for duck. Make sure you are mounting the gun correctly most shotgun misses are a result of an improper mounting. Make sure your cheek is tight to the stock and you are looking down the barrel. Watch some you tube videos to better understand this. Also get out to P2K on a week night bug some of the guys with 32" barrels that look like they know what they are doing most of them love sharing and giving in site. I try and shoot trap at least once a month in the off season to keep fresh. Also we all miss don't let it eat you up its a mental sport and once missing is in your head you are going to have a long day. Don't be afraid to have patience don't rush the shot acquire the bird and fire an extra 5 yards wont be the end of the world.

You can do this with the garden hose too. Try spraying flying insects in the yard holding the nozzle at arms length. You will see how the lead makes the connection.

Mike,

Jerry Brown would not approve of this technique. And you'd only be able to do this twice a week for 10 minutes......lol

Drew,

I agree about not over thinking and it should just be a natural motion.....,But putting it on the nose at maybe 20 yds and swinging thru is probably OK.....At 40 yds, it's not......That's why it's important to be able to judge & adjust as you shoot.....I truly believe this is why so many guys skyscrape.....They have no idea what 40 or even 50 yards looks like.....And they certainly don't lead enough, no matter how fast their shotshell is.

first of all there is really great advice , all of it

do you like archery? a traditional bowmen doesn't use sights. it's all instinctive. hitting the target becomes natural like football and baseball.
as said before don't over think it. I believe there is a choking issue. what I mean by that is you are freezing when taking shots. relax, let it flow.
shoot trap , shoot rabbits, quail , and other critters, start at short distance. and work your way farther. when I shoot it's all instinctive. I don't think about it. I just shoot. this works for some and not for others. but try it. I like using # 4 for pheasant and rabbit. it gets further out. and I am comfortable with it. I stick with the same brand, I don't even think about the speed(velocity of the shot). I would think shooting left handed would improve your shoots because that's the way it is. my partner was right handed, but he was left eye dominate. so he shot archery left handed and it work for him. I seriously believe, the problem your having is that. and that will throw the aiming off.

Reactions: Bonejour
Lee,

That is kind of the issue......You don't aim a shotgun......You point a shotgun.....That's why you can shoot with both eyes open......If you're left eye dominant.....Close that eye (which will come naturally shooting right handed).

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu