Wet Stinky Turkeys

TrapLine

Feb 21, 2019
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Looks Like a wet opener in the San Diego turkey woods. The PTO has already been burned. How is hunting turkey in the rain? Better to come in after the rain passes? I have a week wed to wed to relocate them and hunt them and the rain falls right in the middle.

Looks Like a wet opener in the San Diego turkey woods. The PTO has already been burned. How is hunting turkey in the rain? Better to come in after the rain passes? I have a week wed to wed to relocate them and hunt them and the rain falls right in the middle.

Turkey don't like wind, snow or rain (similar to humans)...If you have birds pinned and know their daily routine...You have a chance...Calling birds in these conditions isn't really effective (hens for the most part, don't call naturally)...Many times, if the weather is bad enough, they won't even leave the roost till really late.

This week end doesn't look good.... o_O

Good heater in the truck works....problem is....the rain makes those roads pretty tuff to get around in ..rain birds...where we separate the hard core from the average ..come on Saturday!!

• Haha
Reactions: 180ls1
I was wondering about hunting turkeys in the rain. One of my biggest problems is that I have to cross a stream to get into where I'm going. If that thing floods....

So @ilovesprig are you saying the birds will just stay in the roost all day if it's raining?

Turkey don't like wind, snow or rain (similar to humans)...If you have birds pinned and know their daily routine...You have a chance...Calling birds in these conditions isn't really effective (hens for the most part, don't call naturally)...Many times, if the weather is bad enough, they won't even leave the roost till really late.

This week end doesn't look good.... o_O
I’ve read before that if you get breaks in the rain, the turkeys like to get out and take advantage of it, sunning and eating bugs.

I don’t know if this is the right kind of storm though. May not have breaks.

The extended forcast showed the rain not starting till saturday afternoon, but that has moved to 5am now so that plan is out the window. Going to head out Monday right after it passes, Tuesday and Wednesday look like blue bird days.

I was wondering about hunting turkeys in the rain. One of my biggest problems is that I have to cross a stream to get into where I'm going. If that thing floods....

So @ilovesprig are you saying the birds will just stay in the roost all day if it's raining

And solid wiper blades..a must!!
I think i am going to run the RainX blades, i hear if you run them dry you can get a shock gobble.

Man opener was wet. New to hunting and still getting gear for different conditions. Only camo I had was "water resistant" and rated for 45 degrees. It was a wet and cold Saturday to say the least. 10/10 would do again. Just hoping to even see a turkey next time :)

PXL_20240330_214113050.MP.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: YETI and ilovesprig
We bailed as well and I'm glad we did. It's a mud bog now where we were going to go.

I really like San Diego, except for no cell phone coverage anywhere. I have a Gobbler roost narrowed down to a about a 100 yards now. Not sure where he is going during the day yet. I tried calling him in for two days, moved closer in the afternoons and waited for him to start gobbling again in the evenings. Moved a little closer the next morning but still not close enough to get him to come in. a Couple of times he would get closer and then just be gone. I was getting a lot of cats though, Huge mountain lion crossing through the field yesterday morning and then bobcat checking out my decoys this morning, maybe just my bad calling. 11 hour days in the blind beats 12 at work.

IMG_0090.png

of all the crap i packed, this was all I really needed. Waiting out the storm and I just kept loading stuff. I am to fidgety so using a blind but need to find a quieter one, the crinkle sound this one makes in a breeze makes it hard to hear.

IMG_0061.png

If you like coffee I love this thing, going to order a single burner stove for it and let it sleep in the tent. I am trying to figure out how I can backpack hunt with one, thinking chest mount.

IMG_0032.png

MCC has a lot of nice land, The observation deck about sold me on a membership.

IMG_0130.png

IMG_0031.png

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu