WFO YFT bite

msteiger

Oct 16, 2012
San Diego
Hey guys-

I got back from an overnight yesterday. Fishing is ridiculous right now. I have heard of fish schooling up under a stationary boat at night. And I have heard of a boat fishing a single school all day for limits. I had never experienced either OR heard of both happening at once.

I woke up in the dark to, "They're biting!" I rushed out of bed without food, drink, or sanitary relief. I landed 7 before even pausing to chug a liter of water, then 3 more before stopping for 2 hours to help the noobs. Later in the day I landed 4 more. Any bait that was 'swimmy' got bit. I was this (...) close to landing 3 limits and could easily have got 4 if I hadn't skipped 2 hours of primetime. (For clarification: I did not keep more than a limit).

EDIT: Forgot to mention. We never trolled. We never left that school until we had limits by 7 am. Then we searched for kelp to try for other species. But the tuna dogged us everywhere we went. We'd hook a dorado on a paddy then suddenly everyone got bent with tuna. Then we'd leave because we already had limits.

I spent 3 hours today cutting fish and another 6 smoking over 50 lbs. That's most of my fish for the year in one shot. The rest has an appointment with some fat in a pan.

Attachments

• yft.jpg
    yft.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 21
I need to find the time to get out there before it's over! Great story thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Sounds like a blast!

Try resizing your pictures (smaller). I had same problem yesterday. Resizing was the ticket.

wow that is just awesome!! I have a trip in late September and I hope the bite is still around.. might have to jump on a boat before just to be safe and catch me some tuna in case the bite dies off..

nice...I went out sat night on an overnighter, same deal, WFO and filled the freezer, Great job

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu