What a day on the water

8SteelTown

So I went on a solo hunt for duck with high hopes. Borrowed my buddies flat bottom boat and set out. Wasn't too difficult to get it out by myself and get it into the water and load up before sunrise.

Used the small motor and got myself into position. There were some other people hunting near me. At first light, a swarm of birds flew overhead. They were mixed with low flying dark cranes, high flying mallards, and some fast flying smaller ducks (couldn't identify due to lighting). The guys up the way from me started BLASTING and everything got vertical and took off. 1st shot I took down a shoveler. Couldn't reach anything else and didn't want to sky bust (again 3" loads w/ #3's). Waited a bit and saw a merganser doing a circle dance on the water after some fishies. I knew it was a duck based off the color and the orange feet (don't want to hear anyone's opinion on this). Dropped the merganser. Probably wasn't the best idea to hunt from the boat, as everything was seeing the multiple boats in the water and just getting too high to reach or were turning around. The fowl activity declined sharply and the only thing moving were Ruddy's. The dudes down the way were training their new dog so they were shooting at every Ruddy on the water. Decided to call it a day and got a Ruddy on the way back to my truck. After a few pics, I started to dress the Merganser and was whole'ing the bird due to its size and noticed it had a 2" fat layer on it. I was immediately stoked thinking of all that delicious fatty flavor! I started plucking the shoveler and decided there wasn't much meat on it and was just going to breast it. I sliced down the center bone and pulled back the skin to see a nasty parasite ridden bird. Grabbed my shovel and dug a hole and buried that beast. I had plans to go to my buddy's house and roast a mallard that night and figured we'd rotisserie the merganser. SoCalRebelHunter told me that I was not going to be happy with that bird but if you don't try, how do you know (reference eating coots). Basting in juicy fat was sure to be tasty, right?! Cooked the merganser perfectly... was just about medium rare and so juicy. When my buddy opened the BBQ lid, he almost puked from the smell. I said I had to try it since I killed it. Took a knife and cut a big slab off. Took a big bite and immediately spit it out. Like chewing up a mouth full of fish oil capsules. No brine in the world could tame that flavor. You live, you learn, and you cross certain birds off your "never again" list. The mallard turned out nice with a red pepper flake maple syrup glaze finished with a tart cherry compote topping.

Boat.jpg

Shoveler.jpg

Merganser.jpg

Merganser%20Fat.jpg

Shoveler%20Parasites.jpg

Mallard%20Roast.jpg

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Shoveler.jpg
    Shoveler.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Merganser.jpg
    Merganser.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Merganser%20Fat.jpg
    Merganser%20Fat.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Shoveler%20Parasites.jpg
    Shoveler%20Parasites.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Mallard%20Roast.jpg
    Mallard%20Roast.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 0
Nice lawn dart :p.

Typically, the whiter the fat, the better tasting. When ducks fat gets really orange or pink, typically not so good.

Thanks for the morning chuckle! Visualizing a cut, bite, chew, spit routine made me laugh.

Wow that's crazy man. Would you have been able to tell that spoonie had that disease if you plucked him. I have plucked to the last few birds I've had and I have no idea what the meat looked like under the skin. Maby I got to change my ways

dantheman said:
Wow that's crazy man. Would you have been able to tell that spoonie had that disease if you plucked him. I have plucked to the last few birds I've had and I have no idea what the meat looked like under the skin. Maby I got to change my ways
Technically (so they say), rice breast is safe to consume. If I know about, I just can't do it. With plucking, it's just the gamble you have to take. What you don't know, don't hurt. I guess.

The exterior of the skin almost looked gray compared to a normal bird skin looking more on the light side. You can see the interior side of the skin looks normal. Don't know if that holds water or not... Just funny that I saw a post on Facebook the day before about that parasite and the next day I happen to get one. There is a zero percent chance I would eat that... worse than worbles in my opinion.

Yup. I don't trust rice breast, but you never know if you pluck. Always pass on the lawn darts.

Did you have a boat blind? Or covered at all with natural cover?

From your story it sounds like guys were out in the open in their boats and not using any cover. That sounds like a surefire way to flare ducks.

nicapopolis said:
Did you have a boat blind? Or covered at all with natural cover?

From your story it sounds like guys were out in the open in their boats and not using any cover. That sounds like a surefire way to flare ducks.

I had the boat in the pic and was nestled nicely inbetween some veg against the shore. No way they saw me on approach. Had trees in the water blocking me. Plus I was wearing my ghillie so obviously it wasn't me ;). The other boats that were out there were plain as day. 1 guy on a float tube pontoon style and the other group had 3 boats.

I shot a beautiful Bull Sprig at Mendota a few years ago that had rice breast

Ever since then I trade every Sprig for a dozen donuts to my local Asian owned donut shop…

Honestly I don't mind shooting divers at all now
They all look like flights of maple bars and french crullers when they come in

That my friends is how i prefer to eat my duck! :)

CaptJgray said:

Ever since then I trade every Sprig for a dozen donuts to my local Asian owned donut shop…

A word to the wise, I'm sure you don't trade them, but give them away.

I love donuts... "Ducks for Donuts" sounds like a great charity to start. Or shoot make a club called that, LEOs will come out in full force to join.

Bonejour said:
CaptJgray said:

A word to the wise, I'm sure you don't trade them, but give them away.

Good point Don.......I'm sure it was just a typo......... ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu