What bow do you guys recommend

mochosla

Nov 17, 2013
Hi guys, I've been considering buying a compound bow but have NO clue what brand, size etc. There are so many options. I'm looking at deer and boar hunting and while I want a good quality bow, I'm not looking at buying the best bow out there. What would you recommend?

On a related topic, is it legal to shoot a bow in your yard for practice? I have about a 20 to 30 yard open area that I can shoot.If not, do I have to go to a bow range or is it okay to go out to the open field to practice?

Thank you.

I won't recommend a bow. Get to your local bow shop and have them set you up. Bows are like shoes. You try on a few sizes and buy what feels best...

I'd try to get to a pro shop before I'd buy from BPS. If I bought a bow from them, I'd have someone else set it up. They know just enough to get by in MY experience. If your near BPS you could hit up Riverside Archery. If you're in the San Diego area no better place than the Bow N Arrow shop.

I'm in San Fernando Valley. Any good bow shops in this area?

Thank you for the replies.

mochosla said:
Hi guys, I've been considering buying a compound bow but have NO clue what brand, size etc. There are so many options. I'm looking at deer and boar hunting and while I want a good quality bow, I'm not looking at buying the best bow out there. What would you recommend?

On a related topic, is it legal to shoot a bow in your yard for practice? I have about a 20 to 30 yard open area that I can shoot.If not, do I have to go to a bow range or is it okay to go out to the open field to practice?

Thank you.
Wow, I do feel sorry for you California boys. In Montana I shoot guns in my yard. drive 4wheelers down the road to town, even ride horses into town now and again. I shoot an Hoyt carbon myself, awesome bow.

Two Bear said:
mochosla said:

Thank you.
Wow, I do feel sorry for you California boys. In Montana I shoot guns in my yard. drive 4wheelers down the road to town, even ride horses into town now and again. I shoot an Hoyt carbon myself, awesome bow.
Yeah, But can you do all those things in January in shorts sandals and a tank top?

Invisible man said:
Two Bear said:
mochosla said:

Thank you.
Yeah, But can you do all those things in January in shorts sandals and a tank top?

Haha. Maybe he's living vicariously through us... ;D

I've been around bows my entire life, these days everyone makes a great bow that shoots well, but what separates Hoyt from all the rest is its dependability
and as a bow hunter I can always count on my Hoyt you will have less trips to the shop for repairs.

Nobody does it like Bruce at the Bow 'N' Arrow Shop in Lakeside. Seriously, it might be worth it for you to make a trip down here just to spend an afternoon in his shop picking a bow, and having him set it up for you. Back in 2005, I spent a couple hours in there shooting two top-name bows, trying to figure out which I liked more. I finally decided that the draw on one was smoother, allowing me to crank up the draw weight on it to the max comfortably. I've been shooting that bow ever since (has it been 9 years???), with no problems that can be attributed to the bow (only to me!). I originally hoped to get 10 years out of my bow before replacing it, but I plan to keep shooting it for the next 10 years or more.

If you consider that you might shoot the same bow for 20 years (if you're not the "I buy a new bow every year" type of guy), then driving down to San Diego for a day, or spending an extra $300 for a top-quality bow really makes sense. I'm not typically the "buy once cry once" type, but when you meet Bruce and Renee, you make a friend for life. The first time I walked into his shop, I don't think I bought anything. But the next time I walked in, he remembered my name! Are you kidding me??!? Where else will you get that kind of experience? I haven't been in his shop in 4 or 5 years now (how's that for reliable equipment?), but he still remembers my name.

Do I sound like a shill for the Bow 'N' Arrow Shop? Probably, but in my opinion, every bow shop should be run by Bruce and his crew. And no, I get no kickbacks or perqs for saying so. ;)

El Matavenados said:
Nobody does it like Bruce at the Bow 'N' Arrow Shop in Lakeside. Seriously, it might be worth it for you to make a trip down here just to spend an afternoon in his shop picking a bow, and having him set it up for you....
Do I sound like a shill for the Bow 'N' Arrow Shop? Probably, but in my opinion, every bow shop should be run by Bruce and his crew. And no, I get no kickbacks or perqs for saying so. ;)
X2

I bought my first bow from Bass Pro a little over two years ago so let me tell you what I learned.

The guys there have no more time for you than to sell you a bow,arrows and set up a draw length. Bass Pro isn't employing enough people so you can have quality one on one.

Go to an independent shop and shoot some bows and ask some questions and pay attention to wether or not they ask you queastions.

My draw length was too long and I was having a hard time seeing around the frame of my prescription sunglasses. Only one guy picked up on that in two years.

Go to an independent.

82toydude said:
I bought my first bow from Bass Pro a little over two years ago so let me tell you what I learned.

The guys there have no more time for you than to sell you a bow,arrows and set up a draw length. Bass Pro isn't employing enough people so you can have quality one on one.

Go to an independent shop and shoot some bows and ask some questions and pay attention to wether or not they ask you queastions.

My draw length was too long and I was having a hard time seeing around the frame of my prescription sunglasses. Only one guy picked up on that in two years.

Go to an independent.
In contrast, Bruce Marshall spent a good hour with me the first time, even before I was ready to buy, showing me how to use a compound. Another 1-2 hours with me when I bought, then insisted I come back repeatedly after shooting some, so he could do more adjusting and diagnosing/correcting my form. Then over the next six weeks he dialed up my draw weight and reduced my draw length a little. I can go in there any time with a problem, and he can figure it out. Sometimes he can tell over the phone. He's a real genius with this equipment. He does this for all his customers, and the added value defies estimation.

Bonejour said:
82toydude said:

Go to an independent.
In contrast, Bruce Marshall spent a good hour with me the first time, even before I was ready to buy, showing me how to use a compound. Another 1-2 hours with me when I bought, then insisted I come back repeatedly after shooting some, so he could do more adjusting and diagnosing/correcting my form. Then over the next six weeks he dialed up my draw weight and reduced my draw length a little. I can go in there any time with a problem, and he can figure it out. Sometimes he can tell over the phone. He's a real genius with this equipment. He does this for all his customers, and the added value defies estimation.

X2 The Bow and Arrow shop in Lakeside. Best costumer service around. Plus he can work on just about any bow out there.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu