What do you guys feed your working dogs?

S

stikbrandon

I feed my dog Merrick's chicken and brown rice, 3 cups 1 time a day (at night at 8 pm) out of season. I work my dog with the bumpers at least 1 time a week till she gets bored,but training never stops around the house or in the front yard( quick 5 min sessions ) also the wife walks her every night for 30 Min's except on Fridays and Saturday's for the most part.

During the first dove season I keep her on the same scedule. But a week or two before duck season opens I'll start to feed her twice a day (4 cups total) once when I leave for work than at night. DECEMBER and JANUARY I'll mash avocado and sweet potatoes together a couple times a weeks trying to fatten her up for the cold water (shes not a pure bread lab)and the of the amount of calories she burns off, dam dog can run all day.

During season I hunt her on average 3 times every 7 days, weather it's jump shooting creeks, running quail, smashing doves or heading out to wister or San j.

Once the duck season ends I'll drop her calorie intake back to 3cups 1 time a day in the PM.

Disclaimer.....I can not control what she picks up off the ground that i miss after cooking or when shes rolling around the house at midnight looking for god knows what but My dog gets absolutely no HUMAN food out side of raw veggies and avo's and peanut butter in her KONG every once in a while.

She has a sensitive stomach and besides her health I don't give her OUR food cause she will hit the dog door at 100 MPH 45 seconds after intake like a person with lactose intolerance :-[.....

That being said what do you guys feed your dog's out of season and during season

eukanuba high activity food i forget exactly what its called. he gets 3 times a day out of season 5 am 12 and 7pm 1 3/4 cup each time. in season/training preseason he gets 4 times a day. he still seams a little thin but he is young and gets a lot of waling and training all year. at least a mile every day weekdays and 2+ on the weekends minimum, all off leash. ive started him on a weekly swim also so he is working pretty hard getting ready for duck. getting taller and lots of lean muscles

Canadade all life stages off season & some high protein & fat during season I've done merrick and it was good and they loved it. I'm going to try pro plan this fall.

Last winter I cleaned out the freezers of all the freezer burnt meat & veggies and cooked them for the dogs I fed them for close to a month. It was eye opening......they drank about a third of the normal water and the poop was a quarter of normal and I fed them the same amount as the kibble. If it wasn't for the time and money I would do it all the time but the kibble is cheaper and so much easier.

Pro plan chicken and rice shreds. They both love it, 3 cups a day 2 feedings. When duck hunting, no food till after the hunt.

Old Roy high protein mixed with Old Roy standard for the increased fat content

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Huntndogs said:
Pro plan chicken and rice shreds. They both love it, 3 cups a day 2 feedings. When duck hunting, no food till after the hunt.

Iv tryed to feed the dog the night before we hunt but she gets too excited when she see's me grabbing gear..... She won't eat till we get home. One home she eats and goes to sleep for 20 hours hahaha

I will need to ask my neighbors. She eats what ever food they have in their garages.

I have switched to 2.5 cups once at night. I ramp up in hubting season to 3. I used to feed my dog morning and night. I was watching the Iditarod and they were talking about how they feed their dogs just before bed. The logic is that it takes 10hrs for food your dog eats to become available for your dog to use. Yes that's right, the extra cup of food on a cold morning is worthless. In fact it hurts them. The food sits in their tummy and irritates everything. Ever see your dog get the s h it s in the morning?

At first my dog was not happy, Wtf no food this morning but she adjusted and it's standard ops. Her prey drive actually increased with zero drop in stamina or attention span.

So true not to feed your dogs before a hunt they can get a twisted gut and die. This is the first rule for hound hunters

We feed Kirkland salmon and sweet potato at the kennel. Dogs are fed twice daily unless we are running them that day then we will wait to feed after they are done with their work. The amount of food they get is in proportion to their size.

I feed Kirkland lamb and rice.

I would stop the avocado feeding. I read there is something in the oil that isn't good for them.

TonyS said:
I feed Kirkland lamb and rice.

I would stop the avocado feeding. I read there is something in the oil that isn't good for them.

Some dogs get the sh&ts from them, but that's typically the smaller breeds (Purse breeds). That being said avocado and sweet potatoes are the only foods besides her kibble that don't give her the sh$ts

We did Blue Buffalo and then Canidae for a while and now we have them on Kirkland salmon and sweet potato. It's good food and the dogs have done well on it. We feed twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. I never - ever feed my dogs in the morning before a hunt. I give them extra the night before. I will give them a protein fuel treat during the hunt though. And I do not rely on "fat" to keep my dog warm. We keep our dogs lean all year round. I have a neoprene vest for those cold/wet days in the duck blind.

Dieter - 60 lbs = 2.25 cups a day (10 years old)
Diesel - 48 lbs = 3.5 cups a day (5 years old)
Emma - 38 lbs = 2 cups a day (9 years old)

Plus 1 for Kirkland salmon and sweet potato. For some reason he gets crazy itchy and dandruff if he gets anything with grains. Also he gets a duck and sweet potato treat from Costco after he exercises.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu