What is a better hunting area

Todd1817

Dec 28, 2015
I am thinking about hunting deer in palo verde or coal canyon er. I know i need to put boots on ground and really walk it but i am just trying to find out which area would be worth the time. I live to 2 1/2 hours from palo verde and 40 mins too coal Canyon.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Shorter commute to scout then most of my hunting areas.....like you said boots on the ground.

I lien anywhere that is closer. The more time you can spend there the better. We are only 2 weeks away so make up your mind and get out there. If it is only 40 min away then I would pick coal that way you can always be there well before sunrise.

I lien anywhere that is closer. The more time you can spend there the better. We are only 2 weeks away so make up your mind and get out there. If it is only 40 min away then I would pick coal that way you can always be there well before sunrise.
Trying to get as much information i can. This is my first hunting trip i never bought any GPS so looking for easy way to get lost and find my way back and drag my kill out

I think you might be in for a let down like myself when I first started. I saw so many people that first day that made me sad towards "california hunting". I realized later on that it was the easy access that was the failure. Everyone except the deer will be in those areas.

Push past the easy access and then your success will improve. Unless if you are so lucky that your game is waiting at the trailhead and broadside.

Oh and a round of applause to the peeps here at SCH for being so patient and nice to us newbies!

I think you might be in for a let down like myself when I first started. I saw so many people that first day that made me sad towards "california hunting". I realized later on that it was the easy access that was the failure. Everyone except the deer will be in those areas.

Push past the easy access and then your success will improve. Unless if you are so lucky that your game is waiting at the trailhead and broadside.
Cool thanks for the advice i know that must areas are close to opening up. I would love to push past the easy access area's and go for the deeper brush. I have no GPS so looking forward to getting lost and finding my way throughout the hunting zones

Oh yeah, I vote for Coal also.
Coal will give you 70 minutes more of scouting every trip you make. More minutes=more success.

Are you solo hunting? Do you easily get lost? Do you have a good sense of direction? Your reply is somewhat concerning.
Even trained people get lost. More so when one experiences weather and dehydration. If you are doubting your skills, even with GPS, you will be putting yourself at risk.

Reactions: CV-Young buck
Are you solo hunting? Do you easily get lost? Do you have a good sense of direction? Your reply is somewhat concerning.
Even trained people get lost. More so when one experiences weather and dehydration. If you are doubting your skills, even with GPS, you will be putting yourself at risk.
No i just have been in california woods before. I grew up in colorado and live in Illinois and was in the military land nav is decent...

Don't know if it still is... but Coal Canyon used to have to be accessed by a locked gate. The key for the gate had to be borrowed from the county of Riverside.

I am not sure how access is currently, but hunting closer to home you will see more success more likely. Especially when you are comparing two particularly low density deer areas. More time in the field and right place at the right time = dead deer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Todd1817
Don't know if it still is... but Coal Canyon used to have to be accessed by a locked gate. The key for the gate had to be borrowed from the county of Riverside.

I am not sure how access is currently, but hunting closer to home you will see more success more likely. Especially when you are comparing two particularly low density deer areas. More time in the field and right place at the right time = dead deer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yeah just got back from Coal Canyon Ecological Reserve and theirs a fence blocking the entrance and a sign reading private road...

If anybody has a better idea of a hunting area close to riverside i am looking for 3hrs in any direction just to clarify i am not looking for any of your hunting locations just looking for a better idea for a first time hunt

Hey Todd, where do you live? Saddleback mtn is CNF. I hunt off of santiago cyn rd. That will take you all the way up Saddleback if you have a truck. There's also an entrance from Corona but you will need to contact CNF for gate info. Most of the times they are locked. Theres also an entrance from ortega highway if you are closer to riverside.

A note on coal cyn. The entrance is Park land. You can not hunt it!!!!! The land around it is highly monitored and they have cameras hidden all over. Ocsd patrols it and there are zero warnings given. Please do your homework before going in. You can not access it off the freeway. The coal off ramp is close to all traffic chp will nail you if you pull off and the gates are locked. I don't know the rules for getting in from the north side of the 91

Now that said coal is pretty poor quality. It has great areas next to it and that just pulls the animals away from it.

skyline dr off of lincoln in corona. CNF has a station around there.

Hey Todd, where do you live? Saddleback mtn is CNF. I hunt off of santiago cyn rd. That will take you all the way up Saddleback if you have a truck. There's also an entrance from Corona but you will need to contact CNF for gate info. Most of the times they are locked. Theres also an entrance from ortega highway if you are closer to riverside.
No truck. I live in Moreno Valley. I have been researching CNF.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu