What to do if you call in a lion

I've had two friends call them in while turkey hunting.........One snuck in on them and they heard a twig snap and turned around and there he was. He bolted as soon as he realized they weren't a turkey......The other walked in front of them on a deer trail and they just went eyeball to eyeball as he walked past......This one wasn't afraid of them at all.

If one came in on me and he laid his ears back, didn't run, and was close......I'd shoot 'em.

Be careful though.....This happened to one of our local bow hunters......TOTAL BS!......http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFkQFjAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.utsandiego.com%2Fnews%2F2012%2Ffeb%2F03%2Fcalifornia-bow-hunter-pleads-guilty-killing-mounta%2F&ei=xp7gVL_QF6-wsATvo4L4Dg&usg=AFQjCNEF1pyobc5cKW5uZUoFTnaEuV6SpA&sig2=AcgVuPfzFNtB3mPwWkEj1w&bvm=bv.85970519,d.cWc

It happened to Johnny and I while calling coyotes. Lion came in behind us and sat down next to us 11 yards away. Once it realized we were there it did not immediately run instead it turned and faced us but it crouched down, rolled its ears back and the expression on its face changed from curious to menacing. I had my AR 15 pointed at it the whole time and was definitely afraid for our safety but once I yelled at it it turned and ran. If it happens to you I would try to yell at the lion if possible to scare it away but if you feel like your life is in danger don't hesitate to shoot it and then keep it to yourself. SSS. This is also why I feel better using an electronic call for predators because you can get the source of the distress sound out and away from you.

S S S=Shoot Shovel and Shutup!

I have spotted lions calling predators. A friend and I were out calling and we walked past a big bush and up the side of a hill into the shade to call. My friend was calling and I was on the glass. About 60 yards away, under the bush we just walked past, were Mom and growing son (about 100 lbs). They sat calmly and watched around to see what would come in. I almost needed to change pants.

Reactions: Smokey58
Mike711 said:
I see tracks out at Tejon all the time. Always feel like they are watching me...LOL Find myself looking in trees at times...

Mike I am surprised they have any left lol.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/feb/11/local/la-me-0211-tejon-lions-20120211

That was posted back in 2012. But look at the bright side they no longer have to compete for trophy game with the cats and at roughly $12,500 per cat small penance to pay compared to a $20,000 Elk hunt. When they have completed 11 Elk hunts they have still made money, roughly $88,000. OHH yeh don't they grow there own Elk there too? not to mention the Deer and Hogs, just saying..... they probably just wrote them a check. LOL

I have heard mountain lion is pretty good eating anyone tried it? Obviously in CA SSS but in AZ you can hunt them.

Truduct said:
I have heard mountain lion is pretty good eating anyone tried it? Obviously in CA SSS but in AZ you can hunt them.
I heard the same thing. My buddy said his friend got one in CO or somewhere and it ate pretty well. Also heard the same about bobcats. Hoping someone on here can confirm.

Yes they do......so do bobs

Tejon in the days of Don sure miss him!!!
Back then you could hunt all season and never see one. In the first 5 years I hunted that ranch we saw one.....now I see one every hunt either driving before dawn or after the sun is down and the Bears are worse they hear shots and come a running. Now I carry a side arm and my dogs to keep those predators off me while hacking in the field.

Down here lets just say keep them in front of you......it's the ones that come in from behind that will maul you and always carry a straight blade on your hip as a last resort.....pistols are bad when your trying to get a lion off your head

Learn to watch very carefully. If you look somewhere and get an antsy feeling, keep looking. Often your body will register what you don't with your eyes. Lions are everywhere. Their game is to stay still and not let on where they are. Once you totally get that you will see them everywhere because they are everywhere. Tremendous overpopulation now.

I once spent a few minutes talking to the old lady at Casper's Park gate. She said she had been working there 15 years and never saw a cat. I drove in and less than 200 yards away from where she sat near the horse corrals was a cat sitting hoping for a chance at those horses. 100 yards away from where she sat. Because I had been in a position to be killed by a cat previously and nerves told me where to look I spotted him. They only scan like in a dream.

I've called in two. One with Josh to 11 yards another one with my friend Steve to25 yards that one was at night. So far all we did is make ourself scene and make some noise we haven't had to pull the trigger yet. The one at 11yards got hairy that story almost never made the Internet

Sdbirds said:
I've called in two. One with Josh to 11 yards another one with my friend Steve to25 yards that one was at night. So far all we did is make ourself scene and make some noise we haven't had to pull the trigger yet. The one at 11yards got hairy that story almost never made the Internet
Bet you almost soiled your pants after those close encounters I know I would if I saw one of those things at night. I saw the reflection of eyes in my crappy flashlight on the opening day of deer season at 10 yards and well that scared me big time. It was most likely a coyote or a fox but that still scared the crap out of me

The ones you don't see are the ones that scare me........I take one of my dogs with me when I call they always alert before I even see the critter coming to the call......

Reactions: Goyaałé

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu