What's your max?

TaftHunter

I hunt a lot
Nov 17, 2012
Taft
This question was asked on a Facebook page I am on, so I thought I'd ask you guys. What do you guys feel is your max distance on taking big game animals? What all do you consider before a shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can shoot way further then I want to hike out to start to track or retrieve a downed or wounded animal. So that's what I consider most. ;)

Is that a trick question ;) ? Because the variables will change with every hunt, or even by the hour.
Shoot your weapon enough that you are very aware of its and your capabilities.
Of course your capabilities are greatly increased with the right software.

Lungpopper said:
Is that a trick question ;) ? Because the variables will change with every hunt, or even by the hour.

Okay, well let's say given perfect conditions, no wind etc... What would be your max shot?

I know the past few season's my max range was 500 yards given perfect conditions, but now that I have made some upgrades I hope to extend this range.

P.S. I was curious what software do you use with your long range rig, rangefinder, ballistics app, kestrel?

About a 150 yds......I've always hunted deer as if I was hunting with a bow......I've shot a lot of deer in my life and I'm pretty sure I've only shot 1 that was +200.

ps......What I have done is kill number of bucks running.....Which if you watch the TV stuff, if they're walking they don't shoot.....lol

I'm confident, & accurate out to 600 yards with my main rifle. But by no means would take that far of a shot.
I like to be at least 200 yards or closer.

Nicholas909 said:
I'm confident, & accurate out to 600 yards with my main rifle. But by no means would take that far of a shot.

I have killed big game animals out to 450 yards with no problem, if you feel confident out to 600 yards why not take advantage of that? Just curious...

There's a lot of times when I am hunting and it's just not possible to get closer due to brush, steep incline, etc..

With or without a scope :).. lol jk.

tafthunter, I see that you have got the long range bug buddy and that is awesome. If I could afford it I would get me a setup fast, I would love to send a death sleeping pill towards one of my desert bucks without him even having a hint I was coming for him from 500+yards. But for now my 3x9 will do and I stay within 100 yards of my bucks. Good Luck

TaftHunter said:
Nicholas909 said:

I have killed big game animals out to 450 yards with no problem, if you feel confident out to 600 yards why not take advantage of that? Just curious...

There's a lot of times when I am hunting and it's just not possible to get closer due to brush, steep incline, etc..

My main rifle is a 7mm-08 & at 600 yards with a 139gr. bullet, the energy is about 1000 ft/lb. And I'm not comfortable with that. My 270 & my 300 would be a different story. Unfortunately I don't use those enough to shoot that far with confidence. Last season I was on cliff edge looking at a 3X4 buck 533 yrds away. I thought about it, but decided not take the shot. Maybe I would of if I was in a better position.

TaftHunter said:
Lungpopper said:

Okay, well let's say given perfect conditions, no wind etc... What would be your max shot?

I know the past few season's my max range was 500 yards given perfect conditions, but now that I have made some upgrades I hope to extend this range.

P.S. I was curious what software do you use with your long range rig, rangefinder, ballistics app, kestrel?

Range finder and iStrelok, I do have a wind meter but only use that when target practicing. To date 676 yards is my furthest kill. That's going to change next October.

PomFI0T.jpg

Reactions: Goyaałé
My longest shot on game to date is a little over 200 yards, from a sitting position. I hope to increase that significantly in the coming years. Eventually, I'd like to be able to shoot consistently at 1000, and take ethical shots on game out to 800.

It all depends on the rest. My max shooting a .243 is 350 with a solid rest such as prone or from a tripod or bipod standing. Without one such as from a knee or sitting not over 150. Although in my 5 years of hunting I've killed 3 deer in San Diego and not killed one over 100 yards away.

If i have to opportunity to take my time.... with the glass on my rifle, and my ballistics chart i would shoot at a deer at 450-475 max. So long as I have the right bullet loaded.... I have practiced at 500 and put 10 shot groups in a 4" square with my weatherby....

I prefer to get as close as i can given the terrain... if i can get to 50 yards i will no point in trying to take a shot from way out there if you can close the distance i feel like

I passed on two coyotes this weekend at 450 yards and trotting, with a stiff right to left wind. I guess my max depends on the circumstances ;)
But thinking about it, if it's outside point blank range, I won't try a shot unless I have time to set up and work out the adjustments for windage, elevation, etc.

My primary concern is velocity... I want quick kills and for that I need expansion. I make sure I am aware of what bullet I am using and the enviormentals.. Velocity and expansion are my primary limits

Reactions: Goyaałé

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu