What's your max?

My primary concern is velocity... I want quick kills and for that I need expansion. I make sure I am aware of what bullet I am using and the enviormentals.. Velocity and expansion are my primary limits

In another post you stated that you are shooting VLD's. So expansion should not be an issue, even out deep.

In another post you stated that you are shooting VLD's. So expansion should not be an issue, even out deep.

Question for ya..
VLDs (based on what I have

I have no experience with VLDs under 13 to 1400 FPS. From what I have been told they just poke a hole?

I would be more concerned with energy transfer. At 1800 FPS (6.5mm 140 VLD) you are at about 1000 ft-lbs of energy, at 1400 FPS you are now at about 600 ft-lbs. So the velocities you are quoting are not going to be very efficient on game regardless of expansion.

Just saying...

Yes that's a very good argument velocity vs energy. There are always good arguments to me made either way. Velocity is just what I was taught. So I try to stick with that. But I'll be honest I have never taken game that far out. Only steel

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu