Where Does One Go To Learn About Regulations?

frozenoak

Mar 24, 2023
Lake Elsinore, CA
I am new to hunting. It seems like every time I talk to an experienced hunter the other person assumes I know a lot. For instance, I didn't know until I went to the San Jacinto Wildlife Area cleanup that one can't have more than 3 shots in their shotgun. Another example, I didn't know until I took the Hunter Education Course at BassPro that one can't use lead for hunting.

There must be other regulations that I don't know. Is there a class somewhere that teaches basic California hunting regulations in an easily digestible platform?

Regards,
Dale

Dude, you passed hunter safety and didnt know you couldn't have more than 3 in your shotgun while hunting (not just only 3, but it needs to be impossible to put more than 3 in your gun, they will try hard).

Study, study again. Some authorities make up alot of sh@#. Do yourself a favor and know your stuff or be subjected to Mr Green. There will be a time when you wish you did.

Good advice above, Know the regs and understand them forward and backwards before you ever set foot in the field, If you think ignorance of the law will get you off the hook you have never spoken with a game warden. Little to no forgiveness is given when in the field. Hunting is a privelidge just like a driver s license and you must know the rules. Downlaod and print the rules and review them each time you get ready to step out of the truck when you are trying something new.

Dale,

There's a $hit load of laws that are little known and rarely applied...Like everyone has mentioned, read the regs...Here's a couple of the common ones.

1...You can not shoot within a 150 yds of any dwelling, outbuilding, or barn...That includes bows...Imperial Co. has a 50 yd from a road law.
2...You're allowed ONE limit per day...3 in possession (most small game & birds)
3...You must have a wing on your doves to identify...Pheasant it must be identifiable...Read regs
4...You mentioned this, but again...Your shotgun can only hold up to 3 shells...Plugged
5...Do NOT lean your shotgun or lay your shotgun against your vehicle...That is considered a loaded gun in the vehicle...A very popular ticket
6...Once again, no lead of any kind to hunt with in California (pellet guns excepted),
7...If you hunt waterfowl on either San Jacinto or Wister...You can only have 25 shells in your possession (lot more rules on WA's).
8...Have your hunting license and stamps (validations) on your person.
9...Know your ducks, if you decide to hunt waterfowl (know all your birds really).
10...Know your shooting times/hours.

This is just a few, but it's a start...READ THOSE REGS...They can change yearly.

Last edited:
Know shooting hours, they are not all the same. I know guys who got citations for shooting dove after sunset. Half hour before sunrise to sunset.
Fur bearers and big game hours are different ,half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset. Or something like that:)

Last edited:
Great advice above. This sucks to say but do your best to avoid game wardens. If you do run into them keep it short and move along.

My dad got ticketed for doing EXACTLY what the lady at the fish and game office told him to do after calling with a question. The warden didn't care and neither did the judge. We had proof of phone records. I am not anti law enforcement either, I sit on a board that helps their children with college funding.

And, remember when ever dealing with any LEO, keep answer to simple yes or no. No, But I thought. or my friend told me, As mentioned, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

If you have a general idea of where and what you want to hunt before reading them it can help also. The state is broken down into regions which can have different rules and season dates for each. But if you know before hand you will know what will actually apply to you on your hunts.

I'd say start with one animal.
Say rabbit..
Figure out where you want to hunt (get OnX)..Google "hunting in such and such county" and look for nuances for that area. What the hours are. What the limits are. Species? Jack or Cottontail? Are there any regulations on rifle vs shotgun.. How to care for em once you've bagged one.

If you want to hunt deer.. do this all over again. Figure out the area. Where can you hunt? Shooting hours? etc.. what tag do I need? How do I tag a deer?

This is how I got started as a late onset hunter. Learn about small game hunting regs.. then go do it. Get in the habit of unloading every time you get in the truck. Then loading when you get out. Remember not to shoot from the road. . etc..

Then when you've got a handle on it.. move on to something else.. eventually you'll amass some knowledge because you've studied it and done it.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Might want to ask Larry, he knows the regs. inside and out. There are some gray areas as far as he is concerned.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu