Where does one scout for chukar in so cal???

Capt.bones

Sep 15, 2015
San Diego, CA
I really enjoy quail hunting. Its more of a hunt then lets say target shooting dove. Lots of hiking and scouting. I really want to shoot some chukar this season. I am going to try pheasant and see how that goes. Pheasant are another bird ive always wanted to shoot. Both species are very illusive in so cal it seems like.
So any info would be greatly appreciated on how and where to start lookng for some chukar. I want to mount one if I get the chance to put one down. I live in san diego and am willing to drive to get some of these beautiful birds. Thanks again.

395 by Johannesburg stop in and have lunch there and ask about the chuckar.......if its a good hatch year they will tell you.

There's also two color mountains up there that hold birds if it's a good year they will be in the flats

only seen chukar at our county fair down here in the IV, I hope one day to venture up to the mountains and give them a shot or two :)

ivhunter said:
only seen chukar at our county fair down here in the IV, I hope one day to venture up to the mountains and give them a shot or two :)
Haha I remember a post awhile back with a chukar sighting in downtown La Mesa near the Fine Firearms shop. Pretty funny. Escaped pen bird.

As for chasing the mighty chukar, is it even worth the effort hunting without dogs or do they just run?

No dog needed a lot like quail but binos is a must to spot the birds before they spot you and bring your toughest boots for rock climbing if they are up high.

If they are in the flats just hunt them like pheasants straight line keep quite checking all rock formations & brush around open grass. After they flush I run after them they fly like quail but go 100yds + then they run for cover and drainages. Sneaky birds that can disappear before your vary eyes.

With this rain if their was a good hatch they will be low and in good numbers. When they see then in town that's a good year. Lots of off-roaders up there so watch where you shoot.

Good luck

Truduct said:
Planted birds available in the valley.

https://www.whuntclub.com/pheasant---quail---chukar.html

wow thats pretty pricey I hunt 3 pheasent for 1/2 that!!! I guess it does include a dog but still ouch.

Ya I think the best way to hunt this place is by buying a bird card. Bird cards get the birds down to around $30 each. I havent hunted there some of my customers go a lot and they like it.

Truduct said:
Planted birds available in the valley.

https://www.whuntclub.com/pheasant---quail---chukar.html

Thanks for info but I'm kind of the DIY hunter, dam that pricing for gallos is crazy... but I guess if peeps will pay for it why not take it. free country

I love pheasant/chukar ranches for training the dog before the season starts. the planted birt area i go has great birds that fly really well it beats buying pigeons at prado and tossing the birds when your done. I will be up the 395 this year for chukar. should be decent hunting. but count on lots of rocks and lots of hiking.

Thats cool you mentioned that spot off the 395. A few years back a passenger on our boat told me the same thing. But for quail. Said to eat at the dinner and ask around and the locals are usually pretty nice about letting some info out. Thats bitching. I actually called mendell I think his name is. And was going to do his pheasant hunt. But I think planted caged birds is lame. And most of all its pricey. Ill put some rubber to rock and try to find these birds. Thanks for the feed back. Guys are great.

I haven't hunted them yet but did come across see some when I was fishing,further up the 395 though. Going to give it a try this season.
Here's a link that might help you out.

http://www.chukartalk.com/index.html

Chukar terrain, you can see my white Ford in the pic below, this pic was taken 3/4 of the way down the hill

158680-1252599614-26feb280863cba2c5ca6a8a8b41e9b1d.jpg

Limits. Gregg and I shoot 20 ga, 3", 1 1/4 6's

158681-1252599615-f8cbee81e90d90a68b9a86155887652c.jpg

A buddy just told me a funny story of chukar from a few years ago. He and his uncle drove up to the Johansberg area and had their rhino or mule UTV thing. He said they got out at first light and drove all over looking for the birds and didn't see a thing. After a few hours of this they found a dirt road to the top of some hill/mountain and parked. Well they fell asleep sitting in the UTV. Two grown men zonked out. My buddy woke up after some period of time and said when he opened his eyes the first thing he saw was a chukar sitting directly in front of them. He said he sat up slowly and they were surrounded by them. He tried to wake his uncle up who was having non of it and to this day doesn't believe the story because he slept through it.

Ah yes, the grey ghost.........Loved my chukar hunting back in the day.........IMO, the toughest bird there is to hunt........ ;)

ps......With mountain quail probably the toughest to get a limit of (10)........ ;D

Attachments

• stoddard wells 1973[1].jpg
    stoddard wells 1973[1].jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 165
  • stoddard wells 1980[1].jpg
    stoddard wells 1980[1].jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 161
  • stoddard wells 1982[1].jpg
    stoddard wells 1982[1].jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 167

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu