Where to live in Arizona?

Gnordby

Feb 25, 2020
To-All,
Looks like the wife is getting relocated to Arizona, Phoenix Area. If you had to pic a location to be at, near Phoenix area, where would you suggest?

Scotts Dale or Tempe Lived in the area back in the early 70's. Scotts Dale is the high end area, and Tempe is the collage area. I lived in Tempe about a mile from ASU.

Reactions: Gnordby
I lived out there playing ball. Wait till you see a haboob.

Seriously though, Anthem is a cool area. I'd stick to the north and/or east areas if you want quicker access to the mountains.

Reactions: Gnordby
Daughter is grad of ASU 3 years ago; so needless to say the wife and I researched and explored a lot of areas to put our daughter alone. We originally had her in an apartment in Chandler. It was a nice area close to Old town Chandler. Her 3rd year of school she moved with her then boyfriend to a apartment in Scottsdale. Really nice town but very pricey. Years ago it was dubbed the Beverly Hills of the Desert; I was corrected by a Scottsdale Karen a year ago that it has changed to the Newport of the Desert, yeah whatever !! The princess and her fiancé now live in North Glendale, North of Happy Valley off the 17 freeway; which works for her since her VA satellite office is in Prescott. She commutes an hour 3 to 4 days a week to Prescott to work but traffic is nothing, rest of the days she's in Phoenix. It is really nice; most everything nearby as far as amenities are fairly new and everything you could need or want. There is a small piece of Phoenix up there that is nice also before you enter the Scottsdale area. Trying to remember the town north of them that is really growing, Anthem & Green River ??
IMO stay away from anywhere near the 10 fwy north or south, also east of 110 in Glendale near the Cardinals Stadium, surprisingly was one of the highest crime areas of Phoenix. No to Guadalupe, Mesa/Gilbert is ok if you are out far enough. Tempe would be a no or any part of downtown Phoenix. Future son in laws sister and her husband bought a place in Goodyear that is new construction, nice and affordable; he's a cop in Phoenix, she's a Guard in the prison out there.
Wife and are relocating to Prescott/ Payson area to retire.
Good luck and I recommend a house with a pool !! LOL !!

i am buying this place and moving..... runway, 1k yard rifle range, trap and skeet range. cows! , anyone wana come visit?

i am buying this place and moving..... runway, 1k yard rifle range, trap and skeet range. cows! , anyone wana come visit?

It needs a pool and there is a dispute over the water rights which is why it has been on the market for 5 months.

Nice though for sure.

There is something up with it for sure. The water would be a pretty big problem if you cant use the well.

its been for sale forever.... work my whole life around a sand a gravel mine and then move to az to live on one... kida make sense right?

Daughter is grad of ASU 3 years ago; so needless to say the wife and I researched and explored a lot of areas to put our daughter alone. We originally had her in an apartment in Chandler. It was a nice area close to Old town Chandler. Her 3rd year of school she moved with her then boyfriend to a apartment in Scottsdale. Really nice town but very pricey. Years ago it was dubbed the Beverly Hills of the Desert; I was corrected by a Scottsdale Karen a year ago that it has changed to the Newport of the Desert, yeah whatever !! The princess and her fiancé now live in North Glendale, North of Happy Valley off the 17 freeway; which works for her since her VA satellite office is in Prescott. She commutes an hour 3 to 4 days a week to Prescott to work but traffic is nothing, rest of the days she's in Phoenix. It is really nice; most everything nearby as far as amenities are fairly new and everything you could need or want. There is a small piece of Phoenix up there that is nice also before you enter the Scottsdale area. Trying to remember the town north of them that is really growing, Anthem & Green River ??
IMO stay away from anywhere near the 10 fwy north or south, also east of 110 in Glendale near the Cardinals Stadium, surprisingly was one of the highest crime areas of Phoenix. No to Guadalupe, Mesa/Gilbert is ok if you are out far enough. Tempe would be a no or any part of downtown Phoenix. Future son in laws sister and her husband bought a place in Goodyear that is new construction, nice and affordable; he's a cop in Phoenix, she's a Guard in the prison out there.
Wife and are relocating to Prescott/ Payson area to retire.
Good luck and I recommend a house with a pool !! LOL !!
Back in my day Prescott/Payson was a couple of great towns with only one main street. Goodyear only had the plant that everyone there worked at (company town back then). Best place I lived in was Serra Vista, 62 miles south west of Tucson, that was also a one street town at the time. Not far from Douglas and Tome Stone, cooler then Phoenix and no sand storms, 80's in summer, upper 60's in winter.
Rumor has it, Phoenix is Hell.
No Hell is right down the frwy from where I live off the 10.

Reactions: NBK
I used to hunt Wickenburg a lot back in the day...I don't think it's all that far from Phoenix area...Loved the small town and history (Vulture mine & Lost Dutchman)...I have heard it's really grown and is very modern.

I used to hunt Wickenburg a lot back in the day...I don't think it's all that far from Phoenix area...Loved the small town and history (Vulture mine & Lost Dutchman)...I have heard it's really grown and is very modern.
Drove through there after my Dads elk hunt last year. They have still kept that vibe. Really cool town. Obviously, it's much bigger and newer now they kept their roots.

I would say Prescott or Prescott Vally would be a great area. One negative is, there are some fellows of questionable character who live there. That is what I have heard.

Reactions: BOWUNTR

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu