Who hunts D11?

I grew up hiking and back packing the angeles. it is soo rough. its all up or all down not much in between. there are the high meadows but they usually have people in them. but every year some one pulls a big buck out of the mountain. d11 also goes up above castaic which is easier with a little more water.

It's tricky up there though because of the fires. Lots of closures. I found a decent spot on the north side in Acton. Nice flat area with lots of brush and rocky fields. Looks promising for Coyote or Bobcat

I live and hunt in D11. This is my first year hunting there and no one I know wants to hunt hard like I do. They just want to drive around and look from the road. Problem is, it is going to take me years of experimentation to figure out where to go to find the deer.

I'd love to get out and do some long scouting hunting days in d11 if your still looking for a partner. I've been sitting behind the wheel mostly these days but I can still go all day just not as fast as a used to

as a matter of fact I was going there this year, but circumstances killed it this year. after I get healthy
and get settle down maybe some of you young guys may want to go. :p

Ghost said:
the best harvest in ca. I would like to try A zone

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/files/2012/07/GAFP_1208_G345_CA1.jpg

I can take you road hunting next year if you want. we can shoot a pig too..... ;)

Eric pecan said:
Ghost said:

I can take you road hunting next year if you want. we can shoot a pig too..... ;)

Eric

hey buddy I have not forgotten you partner. you have a friend here for life. soon as I get healthy again and settle in my new place . wife and I are coming to visit.
Pig is definitely on the menu. I would like to take one with my new AR 223. ;)

Ghost said:
Eric pecan said:
Ghost said:

Not advisable for pig at that place.the bigger the caliber the better... :)

Eric

hey buddy I have not forgotten you partner. you have a friend here for life. soon as I get healthy again and settle in my new place . wife and I are coming to visit.
Pig is definitely on the menu. I would like to take one with my new AR 223. ;)

D - 11, hunting there is better than ever ! The habitat is real good since the station fire , before that it was old growth timber ,sage and all that . Not too much to eat however . The holding capacity for wild life is much healthier now since the station fire , from mice to mountain lions ! I did archery deer 2 years ago , at one of my stands I would see 6 to 9 deer every hunt and a bear at least one time a week . I saw four different bears . The bucks didn't show up till at least the rut , in any great numbers. Deer scent works too , I found it takes weeks for them to get attracted to any rag you set out . Its that two week stretch where there hormones rage before the does go in heat that it works best !! So if I put some on a rag, I would hang it out side my stand till end of season . Scout that stand , hunt it when the bucks show up ! I put doe urine on the ground ,as if a doe went there , then after two weeks or a month . bucks visit every day depending how close the rut is !!! Making rubs and scrapes . Once the rut starts it is not as effective . Thirty years ago I would hunt the burn areas , because they attracted so many deer . That far lighting strike on that far ridge that burned 1 to five acres will attract a lot of wild life , so I used to look for those . I found scent eliminator soaps and sprays work fantastic . Try red box canyon .

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu