Whoa...!! I did NOT know even that they Got that BIG!!!

TheGDog

So I go out to this place again I've been trying to get a Coyote at. During my first set... I some point I scan the terrain again in the vicinity of the motion decoy... and now I notice a bird has landed on one of the branches on this dead tree.

Before raising my binos to check it (BTW, the Vortex Vultures are AMAZING at this location!) I assumed it was a Raven from the size of it. And like even for a Raven, the body would be significantly rounder and fuller than a typical desert Raven is.

So I raise up my binos and bada-bing... I see the tattle-tale single feather off the top of the head... NO BLEEPIN' WAY!!! THAT'S A QUAIL!?!!!

Could NOT believe what I saw! I have never in my whole life seen a Quail that damn huge!

I guess it's all this rain and all the billions of little tiny flowers and spike in insect population I suppose?

Anyhoo.. just thought I'd share... that damn thing was very near to the size of a large chicken!!!

Last edited:
So I go out to this place again I've been trying to get a Coyote at. During my first set... I some point I scan the terrain again in the vicinity of the motion decoy... and now I notice a bird has landed on one of the branches on this dead tree.

Before raising my binos to check it (BTW, the Vortex Vultures are AMAZING at this location!) I assumed it was a Raven from the size of it. And like even for a Raven, the body would be significantly rounder and fuller than a typical desert Raven is.

So I raise up my binos and bada-bing... I see the tattle-tale single feather off the top of the head... NO BLEEPIN' WAY!!! THAT'S A QUAIL!?!!!

Could NOT believe what I say! I have never in my whole life seen a Quail that damn huge!

I guess it's all this rain and all the billions of little tiny flowers and spike in insect population I suppose?

Anyhoo.. just thought I'd share... that damn thing was very near to the size of a large chicken!!!

Like this guy?

1bf6649faa710ce1a2d48627324b2eb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigger!

Like I said... I at first figured it was your typical Desert Raven. The area is Tall Desert Hillside Ridges, and the Raven's and Crows Patrol non-stop with all the wind currents there are with all these fingers and draws.

Last edited:
Here is a mountain quail. They’re bigger than the gambles or valley, about 11” tall, , and usually above 4000 feet. They are rarer and more secretive that valleys. I finally got my first couple of shots at one this year after years of trying to bag one but came up empty

Frank

Attachments

• B60087D5-0552-49CB-8ED7-B62F8087A800.jpeg
    B60087D5-0552-49CB-8ED7-B62F8087A800.jpeg
    582.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 74E43740-7785-47D1-AC06-075BDDAE328B.jpeg
    74E43740-7785-47D1-AC06-075BDDAE328B.jpeg
    582.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
You guys are funny. Mt Quail are a little bigger than California or gambles quail but really it isn’t noticeable.
I would put my money that Larry saw a band tail pigeon. More than likely if it was a quail up in a tree you would have heard it this time of year.
I don’t even think a pheasant is 15” tall.

Sorry - got the height w type, wingspan is 15”, height about 11”. They’re much larger than valleys and it’s noticable

Mt Quail are blue I like to shoot them. If you pluck them they all look the same. Depending on where you were in the San Bernadinos it could have been a Chukar as well.
0C490D86-EA40-48AC-8AD1-D813CD09AC16.png566BDAD1-D6C5-4FDA-AB9A-B4A0973EBA9C.png
835011D6-9C12-48CA-8F6E-ADD03DD1A81C.png

You guys are funny. Mt Quail are a little bigger than California or gambles quail but really it isn’t noticeable.
I would put my money that Larry saw a band tail pigeon. More than likely if it was a quail up in a tree you would have heard it this time of year.
I don’t even think a pheasant is 15” tall.

Ditto I’ve shot a lot of Gamble,Valley and Mt Quail and they are very similar in size, not even any where near a Raven or Crow

Back