Wilderness Bowhunt Recap

Breacher said:
I'll let Jerry describe the stalk, terrain and outcome. I did watch from camp while the entire thing unfolded.

Nick spotted the buck up in the pines trees and we decided that he was in a good position for a stalk. We came up with a quick plan of attack and how I would go about the stalk. I filled my water bottles, grabbed some snacks and my bow and was off.

I had to hike up the main trail for about a half mile then break off the trail and do some mountaineering. I got to my break off point and looked up at the task in front of me. It was about a 1000 ft elevation gain and very steep. The first half of the climb wasn't that bad because there were nice sized stepping stones to climb up on. I reached the half-way point and peeked down to our camp in the basin floor. Nick and I made bino contact and a few hand signals to make sure the buck was still in location. It was still there and the climb continued.

I followed some really nice game trails the rest of the way up. If the deer and bear trails weren't there, it would have been nearly impossible to pass. The brush was thick and the hills were steep.

As I approached my final ascent, I dumped my pack very quietly and took one last drink of fluid before what could have been a long wait. The hillside had turned into loose granite and dirt. It was very difficult to climb quietly through this terrain but I did my best with the little experience I have.

I got in above where I thought the buck was. I peeked over the top of the mountain in time to see the huge forked rack of the buck slipping into another bedding location. Quickly, I ranged the buck at 65 yards as he disappeared behind a huge rock. Thinking that he might emerge on the other side of the rock, I clambered over to the other side of the hill I was on and waited patiently. The buck never emerged but, after a couple of minutes, a very small black bear got up from his slumber just 30 yards in front of me and sauntered down the mountain not even knowing I was there. The bear was a skinny and sickly looking with a ragged coat, too small to take. I let him exit stage left before I made another move to re-position for the deer.

I moved patiently back to where I had seen the buck sneak behind the boulder to bed. My plan was to get back to that position and play the waiting game. I was ready to wait until the buck got out from his bed and either head up the hill to me or go down the hill and out of range. My next move proved to be my biggest mistake.

Trying to get into a comfortable position, I hit a small rock with my foot and sent it down the mountain side creating a small dirt avalanche. The two bucks immediately got up from their beds and plummeted 40 ft down the rocky hillside before stopping and looking back at the noise that was made. From my vantage point, I didn't get another look at them until they were 500 ft down the mountain and sprinting away.

It was demoralizing at the time, but a very good lesson for the future. Patience is key and I needed more of it on a pursuit like this. I'll learn from my mistakes and be better for it in the future. The stalk was a blast and one of the hardest things I have ever done.

A view from where I was busted from. The deer were in the clump of trees to the left. Our camp was at the bottom of the basin
trinityalps14008.jpg

A view from below the bed on the way down after the stalk was over.
trinityalps14006.jpg

Total respect for you guys.......Gnarly country and you both gave it a great effort.....Again awesome pix and story.......At my age can only live vicariously through hunts like this......Outstanding!

$400 plus $50 for a tip. Oh and that was ONE way. We hiked our gear out on our backs. Gerard is a retired guy who does this on the side. Big company packers charge considerably more.

i would imagine a packer that does it for a living, in and out, would run somewhere between 1000-1400 depending on the distance to the camp and the distance the packer has to travel to the trail head. I think there are many variables that determine the price. We were lucky enough to find this guy who just does it for "fun". Like Breacher said, "worth every penny in the long run. There was no way i would have made that stalk on the first day after hiking 7.5 miles from the trail head with 45lbs of gear on my back.

thats so awesome I want to start doing the backpacking hunting , I actually have a friend that got into it and wants me to start going but I need to buy all my stuff.

Beautiful country. Great story and a real inspiration. Thanks gentlemen.

Sent via Tapatalk

Great story.... A buddy and I have been contemplating a hunt like this in NorCal/ Sierras for years. This may help convince him..... ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu