Winster Duck Hunting

Midwest_Hunter

Mar 6, 2013
I was told about a place today, for duck hunting, called Winster. It is about 4 hours North of San Diego. I am not able to find anything online about this and I would like to find something if possible. Is there another name that it could be under? Does anyone know where this place is?

Saw a vid on youtube called "Duck hunting at Winster in California". Thought for sure it was a misprint but dude says it is in Central Cal. Couple other videos on there saying "Winster". Might be a spot to start... ask some questions to the people who posted vids... see if you get a response.

8SteelTown said:
Saw a vid on youtube called "Duck hunting at Winster in California". Thought for sure it was a misprint but dude says it is in Central Cal. Couple other videos on there saying "Winster". Might be a spot to start... ask some questions to the people who posted vids... see if you get a response.

can you post the link for the video you found? I am searching for that on youtube and not coming up with it.

Central cal is a lot further north that 4 hours from San Diego. I'm in central cal today for work 3.5 hours from north LA county. I've hunted the central coast as well as Central Valley never Sean a winster? Something I'll check out.

GSPman said:
Central cal is a lot further north that 4 hours from San Diego. I'm in central cal today for work 3.5 hours from north LA county. I've hunted the central coast as well as Central Valley never Sean a winster? Something I'll check out.

I am just relaying the information that I was given. I was told about 4 hours North of San Diego and it was called Winster. Looks like it could be a scavenger hunt for us all or a wild goose chase......

Pretty sure it's a "Wild Goose Chase".....Hunted here all my life and have never heard of it....And pretty sure they meant Wister WA.....2 1/2 hours east of San Diego.

Midwest_Hunter said:
8SteelTown said:

can you post the link for the video you found? I am searching for that on youtube and not coming up with it.

:-[ Turns out the tag was "Winter", not "Winster". LOL... my bad. Did about 10 minutes of searching and re-wording but couldn't find anything. Betting it's Wister and he may have been a little tipsy and the 2 hour ride felt like 4.

Wister sucks! The mud there is horrible! The amount of skybusting would make any Anti-Aircraft Battery envious! You only get spoonies! There is an Anti-Hunting Game Warden behind every Salt Sage Bush! When it rains, plan on leaving your car/truck there for a week or two. People spread aluminum foil sheets in the goose fields! Did I say the Mud Sucks? Oh yea, have to love the 'mud pots' that will send you straight to China! You smell the Salton Sea all the time (smells like dead fish and sulphides) Half a dozen or so hunters have already contracted the West Nile Virus from the Mosquitoes there. The Diamondback Rattlesnake is plentiful at the refuge! Also, the occasional Black Widow, Tarantula and Scorpion likes to make their presence known. And I could go on!

:p

It's definitely Wister and I am all too familiar with that horrid place. Just left the Brawley courts today after fighting my ticket from fish and game. Sky busting. Crappy mud. Overly zealous wardens....not my cup of tea.

"and that is your typical goose field, AFTER it has been planted and irrigated!!"... :-\

Don't be a Hater...........Same hunt, different picture............Yeah, Wister sucks.......... :-*

Attachments

• ww & wister 1-18-12 085.JPG
    ww & wister 1-18-12 085.JPG
    736.1 KB · Views: 24
  • ww & wister 1-18-12 080.JPG
    ww & wister 1-18-12 080.JPG
    795.7 KB · Views: 260
Definitely one of my most memorable days I ever had at Winster, not just because we shot a few geese but because of all the history and experieces some of these guys have had!

index.php

Everything I said about Wister above is TRUE, but, I still love hunting there. Then again, south of Kern, we only have two choices, when is the DFW going to buy some more land and make a couple more refuges?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu