Wister algae bloom?

D Sea

Nov 11, 2019
Anybody have info on a supposed algae bloom at Wister? Rumor has it a dog got sick and may have died due to toxic algae.

Thanks

Reactions: outdoorhero42
At the Sat morning check-in it was announced that a blind was closed so they could test the water. A hunters dog did die but apparently couldn't identify a cause of death so to be sure they wanted to rule out the water.

Reactions: outdoorhero42
Wow, i grew up as a toddler going to wister ever since i was five. Sad to here the places me and my pop used to hunt will someday no longer be there. I remember clouds of honkers back in the day.
Now the ducks are dissapearing. How long before no more snows? I hate to always sound like a downer but not much good is happening.for something thats in my blood.

Wow, i grew up as a toddler going to wister ever since i was five. Sad to here the places me and my pop used to hunt will someday no longer be there. I remember clouds of honkers back in the day.
Now the ducks are dissapearing. How long before no more snows? I hate to always sound like a downer but not much good is happening.for something thats in my blood.
Snows are almost gone now. There were only 1000-1500 last year

It's not all that bad...we're just having some fun with this. The place needs work, no doubt about it, but it's still a great place to hunt. The persistent hunter will get some birds.

Due to the lack of water early on, I'm doubtful the blue green algae had a chance to mature in this pond. You never know what's bubbling up from below in this area.

I hear ya, Steve. I hope we get the opportunity to talk to the staff about projects we'd like to seem them tackle. Budget and manpower will always limit what we can do, but if we knock off a project or two every year I think we'll see an improvement in no time at all. My to do list for Wister, in order of importance...
1. Fix W12...dikes are breached in many places, and the place is a jungle
2. Bring back W11A...who doesn't miss W11A? I'm gonna get hats made "Make W11A Great Again"
3. Rework 115C
4. Rework Y16A and Y16B-2 and -4
5. Rework 513B-2 and -4
6. Bring back 515
6. Bring back S22
8. Replace the bridge that provides access to the north end of T12, T14
It all comes down to habitat, and if habitat improvements are limited by problems with water delivery, then let's start there. Fix the infrastructure, then get to work on the habitat.

Hunted Wister today...To say it was slow is an understatement...Water was fine, but the lack of swamp timothy will hurt in the long run...Got 2 shovel dogs right off the bat and that was it...I actually took this spot figuring, I would get my one sprig...Never saw one and left at 11:30 am.

.View attachment 41916
Peak numbers wow this is going to be a long season

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu