Wister Doves

Steve will chime in but I don't think you can hunt dove on wister. Just ducks in season.

Last edited by a moderator:
dh48,

Yes, you can hunt Wister......All you have to do is sign in at one of the kiosk's (no charge)......You can hunt anywhere you like, but historically, the best areas are 513A, 312A, 115A, Y14, and the east edges of U10, T10, & S20.

Remember, Wister is a state wildlife area. So, non-toxic (steel) is required.....You will be checked.

.053.JPG 054.JPG 051.JPG

Reactions: 2dogs1name
dh48,

Yes, you can hunt Wister......All you have to do is sign in at one of the kiosk's (no charge)......You can hunt anywhere you like, but historically, the best areas are 513A, 312A, 115A, Y14, and the east edges of U10, T10, & S20.

Remember, Wister is a state wildlife area. So, non-toxic (steel) is required.....You will be checked.

.View attachment 28017 View attachment 28018 View attachment 28019
Wow really Steve. That's awesome. I am been misinformed Thanks Steve for clearing up my wrong info.

Ok great ! So just sign in , and we don't need a 1 or 2 day pass ? What about parking ? Are the roads to the duck hunters parking areas open ? Can we park any where on the refuge ? I believe I read that for doves at Wister you can more than 25 shells in your bag when hunting . Any thing else I should know ?

Ok great ! So just sign in , and we don't need a 1 or 2 day pass ? What about parking ? Are the roads to the duck hunters parking areas open ? Can we park any where on the refuge ? I believe I read that for doves at Wister you can more than 25 shells in your bag when hunting . Any thing else I should know ?

Sign in at kiosk near the entrance to area.....No day pass needed.....Park in the same parking spots as duck hunters. There's a couple of parking lots for the upland only area (across from entrance & not on map).....You can not just park anywhere.....25 shells is only required while waterfowling. And they must be non-lead.

ps......San Jacinto is a state wildlife area, not a federal refuge...........;)

.San Jacinto.jpg

It's worth a preseason drive by if your close......many years ago we had a great opening morning shoot on the hill above the wash.

Just watch out for the rattlers

local dove are strange..... about 5 years ago we had a huge shoot with like 10 people at a local OC super secret spot. limits in a hour for the whole group. They have not been back since. WTF?

MCC has had similar results.....There's been years where there's tons of doves in one area, then the next year, nothing.....2 years ago Mesa Grande was loaded. I was there yesterday and saw a handful.....Plenty of turkey melon (dove weed) too. Which may be the problem.....It's everywhere and thick.

Best way to hunt them in this situation is to find water sources that have water low to the ground, spillage, or a pond with mud bank.....One of the problems with afternoon hunts is, the birds can come in to water at dark-thirty (after shoot time).....And it gets later, the more they get pressured.

. IMG_8667.JPG 9-2-12 003.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu