Wister-Jan. 2nd

labsrule

Jan 20, 2014
We ran about two dozen decoys and a couple of MOJOs. Ended up pulling the MOJOS. It was a slow day for a good number of hunters today. We got into the Spoonies but had zero opportunities at other big ducks. Here is a sunset picture.

John20210102_170204.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I scouted Wister friday it was the least amount of ducks I had ever seen there. Im glad you got into some birds. Until we get winter, I think its gonna stay marginal at best.

Reactions: Loosenutswelding
When I scouted Wister friday it was the least amount of ducks I had ever seen there. Im glad you got into some birds. Until we get winter, I think its gonna stay marginal at best.
Looks like the Pacific Northwest will get some weather. Unfortunately, it will not push down too far into California and Salt Lake needs to freeze up hard.

John

I believe what ducks we're going to get are here...The Salton Sea has literally 1000's upon 1000's of ducks on it...The San Jacinto Valley has 1000's of ducks in it...The dynamics of our hunting areas have changed with the change in habitat and water availability.

Other places and states I have hunted haven't changed that much, but here in SoCal, things have changed a lot...As hunters, we will have to adapt to these changes and roll with the punches...2 cents

I believe what ducks we're going to get are here...The Salton Sea has literally 1000's upon 1000's of ducks on it...The San Jacinto Valley has 1000's of ducks in it...The dynamics of our hunting areas have changed with the change in habitat and water availability.

Other places and states I have hunted haven't changed that much, but here in SoCal, things have changed a lot...As hunters, we will have to adapt to these changes and roll with the punches...2 cents
Are you referring to all the birds sitting on Mystic? Why don’t they drain it to make the rest of SJ better? But if Mystic wasn’t there, do you think they’d sit on Perris instead? I imagine some already do.

Are you referring to all the birds sitting on Mystic? Why don’t they drain it to make the rest of SJ better? But if Mystic wasn’t there, do you think they’d sit on Perris instead? I imagine some already do.

I stated someplace that Mystic Lake giveth and Mystic taketh away...Meaning, because it's there, more birds stay in the area and with good food sources nearby, they will come to that place (SJWA)...When it was dry, they just find somewhere else to loaf that's farther away and not disturbed (Perris Lake, sewer ponds, parks, etc.).

ps...Salton Sea despite getting smaller, is still huge with miles of undisturbed shoreline.

Reactions: TomTom8302
I hunted Wister yesterday too, I got a shoveler and my dad got a greenwing. My shoveler was flying with another shoveler and we watched the other one get shot when they were circling, by the blind in front of us. She was so focused on our decoys that she didn’t care her mate got shot, because she dropped right into our decoys, which I did not expect! I didn’t stand up to shoot until her feet were right about to hit the water, it was too awesome just watching her after her wings cupped up when she was still up high! I had a pair of gadwalls cup up and start to drop in when I waded out to fix a decoy cord that was wrapped around a decoy. I’ll make sure to check that before shoot time in the future; that was painful! It was a lot slower than last year. This year we drew #8 and last year we drew #7 around the same time. Last year there was a ton of shooting at first light; this year it was pretty quiet. Was the weather up north better last year, around this time?
223C2256-71F3-432C-B2A4-88CF67CEC68F.jpeg

I was thinking more about weather stirring up the birds that are here and when northern storms do come through often new birds are with the storms.

Are you saying that the low bird counts are the "new normal" for Wister? From my viewpoint, it has been bad for the last couple years at Wister. Is this a permanent thing?

Wister shot a 2.10 on Saturday without the Coots. The hunt days prior were under a 2. I will take my chances at Wister. If there are enough guys out then what birds are there will get pushed around. I think it is important to keep in mind that we have not
seen a sustained string of hunt days at Wister or SJ where the Teal numbers taken were above 300. The wigeon showed up early but have not returned either. I am seeing plenty of wigeon in the ponds I typically see them at. Just not where they can be hunted. I imagine there are a ton of ducks sitting on the big waters as well. I think more storms would at least push these birds to look at other options for loafing. It has been a dry year down here. Not a single mud run even required at Wister this season. We will see how the rest of the month goes.

John

Reactions: TomTom8302
Are you saying that the low bird counts are the "new normal" for Wister? From my viewpoint, it has been bad for the last couple years at Wister. Is this a permanent thing?

Don't know if it's the "New normal", but Wister was let go as far as habitat for awhile (salt cedar...I think with the new crew in place, more feed, more open water/ponds, spring irrigation to enhance timothy grass, and some stabilization of the sea, will all help us get back to the "old normal"...

I thought the same thing about the spoony looking light...

I hunted Wister yesterday too, I got a shoveler and my dad got a greenwing. My shoveler was flying with another shoveler and we watched the other one get shot when they were circling, by the blind in front of us. She was so focused on our decoys that she didn’t care her mate got shot, because she dropped right into our decoys, which I did not expect! I didn’t stand up to shoot until her feet were right about to hit the water, it was too awesome just watching her after her wings cupped up when she was still up high! I had a pair of gadwalls cup up and start to drop in when I waded out to fix a decoy cord that was wrapped around a decoy. I’ll make sure to check that before shoot time in the future; that was painful! It was a lot slower than last year. This year we drew #8 and last year we drew #7 around the same time. Last year there was a ton of shooting at first light; this year it was pretty quiet. Was the weather up north better last year, around this time?
View attachment 47353
Sounds like the other blind shot your spoonie as well and she was just sailing into lmao

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu