Wister Today......7-9-15

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Took a drive out early this morning and met with area managers Rick Francis & Scott Sewell.....Went over some things that need to be taken care before dove & waterfowl season.....Signage is at the forefront with the lead ban being implemented starting this season (even rabbits right now).

Lots of duckling seen and even a lone honker came flying in......Love the place!

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    656.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    442.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    718.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    777.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    406.1 KB · Views: 24
Mike,

Well for doves, you'll need steel 7's........For the ducks, I like steel 3's.........And for geese I use steel BBB's.

Mostly personal choices, but these are what have patterned best in my SBE with just a plain modified choke. In Canada, I shoot #1's for specks a lot of the time and I've used 2's in 3 1/2" for a combo load as well.

Kent have pretty much been my brand of choice since I started using them in Canada (2001).....The last couple of years I've used Federal 3 "1 1/8 oz 3's for ducks.....They seem fine.....I also used Rio's for honkers 3 1/2" 1 3/8's BBB's. They performed well and seemed to kill them pretty dead......The one thing they all have in common is they're all 1550 fps.....Real important in my book..... ;D

A few pix of the upland at Wister yesterday.....Tons of white-wing in the sunflowers...... ;)

Attachments

• 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    794.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    986.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    923.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    552 KB · Views: 21
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    728.6 KB · Views: 23
Whodini said:
Is that a hen gadwall in the last duck pics?

She appeared to be a mallard, despite the ducklings looking like gadwalls.......The 1st hen was definitely a gadwall with 8 ducklings.

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    404.6 KB · Views: 19
Just to 'tag onto' Steve's comments about steel shot needed for doves,

1. As of July 1st, 2015 – The law states that IF you are hunting doves…AND doing that hunting on a STATE Wildlife area/refuge or a STATE Ecological reserve – then you must begin to use NON Lead shells for any hunting, including dove. (Fed lands would remain unchanged)

2. Then, on July 1st, 2016, everyone has to use NON Lead shells when hunting most uplands bird (EXCEPT Dove, Quail and Snipe).

3. And then on July 1, 2019 – NON Lead shells would be needed for ANY hunting on any area in CA., and that is when the Ban on lead for Doves would kick in for all other lands public and private.

So, in essence – regarding Dove hunting – if you are hunting private lands this season – you can STILL use lead on doves, but cannot if on a State Area or Ecological reserve.

I bring this up so that all of you that plan to hunt on state lands will hopefully be prepared with proper steel shot for dove hunting this September. I can already see guys waiting til the last minute to purchase shells and finding steel shot for dove hard to find.

Word to the wise.....

Thanks for the info duckfan. I guess I should really enjoy these next few seasons of cheap bulk ammo dove days in the IV

iPhonez

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu