Wister

The bad thing about hunting season is pretty much all of them are at the same time, I used to always hunt waterfowl until I was introduced to the awesome sport of bowhunting, now I spend most of my time doing that and not as much in the duck blind, which is mixed a motions , kinda like your mother-in-law driving your raptor off a cliff

Thwacker said:
Sprig, with all due respect, if they work there shouldn't they know what they are selling? I don't go there often so I don't know the blinds well either so I feel his pain, sprig you seem to know the area well and don't even work there. I think the employees should treat everyone like it's their first time there, even though I know time is very important to get everyone to their blinds ontime, hench better sinage..... Idle observation from a part time fowler

I do not disagree........I have worked there and currently am a DFW volunteer on Wister.......I try to help as many as I can (I get tons of calls & PM's).......I believe for the most part Josh tries to help folks.......I've had his job......It ain't easy.

gotta say today was my first day at Wister, it reminds me of some of tule lake except its about 80 degrees colder...
One of the guys at the kiosk was looking at me like I should know where everything was. From reading this post I could have been in lots of trouble...I was carrying 2 boxes of shells! And had know idea on the map where the hell I was, I found a nice little island with tall grass and some Sea Cedar for cover.
It was perfect...except there were no birds in my area. Never pulled to trigger

However there were birds getting hammered all around me and I am still looking for my blind post tho, the directions were not to good
The board was pretty much wide open, I just didn't really have any idea where the birds like to hang out and get shot.

It looked like some to the guys were waiting for some people to clear out of some spots so they could nab them for the afternoon shoot.

Like the man says, you got to put in the time, I got a two day pass so when things get a little longer in the season I will be back at Wister more prepared with a lot more knowledge of the place

With all that said, Sprig is right. It was a little intimidating. They could be a little more helpful to noobs out there.

All in all tho, still one of the best hunting days of my life....every hunt good or bad is the best day.

John,

Please read the regulations and the back of the Wister map.....If you would've been caught with 50 shells. It would've cost you dearly.....You can also call or pm me anytime.....I do not text though.

ps....One other thing, if a duck flies over you. It doesn't mean it's in range......We had 3 guys down at the end of our pond that were taking shots at birds over a 100 yds up.....The game wardens went down and had a long conversation with them. After they left, they did the same thing.....Even with my experience, I carry a range finder with me.....You'll be surprised how close 50 yds looks (a very very marginal shot at best).

nicapopolis said:
Thwacker said:
Some good points, but public that you pay for, if you earn a wage earn it is the old school way, it's not like high country hunting or slough hunting, it's organized (or some what) I do understand what you are saying but if you are a hunter( let's stick together) that doesn't have a lot of time to scout public pay to hunt land that you might draw one card a year to hunt. someone government, state or someone should make it a bit easier to find your paid for blind, it's like sitting on state owned freeways traffic...... Irritating. Cliché.....2 cents
Definitely agree with you there. Always room for improvement with the staff, adding more staff, more funding, etc.

The great thing about Wister is other than a few days a season you are pretty much always going to get on. If you stick around, with some wind afternoon hunts can be phenomenal. This allows you to really learn the place well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nic you jinxed it.... "other than a few days a season you are pretty much always going to get on" Maybe not anymore!

ilovesprig said:
John,

Please read the regulations and the back of the Wister map.....If you would've been caught with 50 shells. It would've cost you dearly.....You can also call or pm me anytime.....I do not text though.

ps....One other thing, if a duck flies over you. It doesn't mean it's in range......We had 3 guys down at the end of our pond that were taking shots at birds over a 100 yds up.....The game wardens went down and had a long conversation with them. After they left, they did the same thing.....Even with my experience, I carry a range finder with me.....You'll be surprised how close 50 yds looks (a very very marginal shot at best).
They were talking about some guys yesterday taking hundred yard shots shooting mudhens and cormorsts
Geez I guess I got lucky

BTW highway 111 has a border check and a narco dog.
Dog was going nuts around my truck I had a little reefer for the ride home. He told me to leave the stash at home and let me go whew...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Wister like any other refuge has it's own personality and it changes week by week, month by month and year by year. You need to track this, it will help with you success in the future

As far as bird distance, the pic below is from my Samsung Cell Phone. We don't shoot into big flocks like this but my point is very few of these birds are in range in my opinion, there are 8 or so that are in the 20-30 yd range, the back bulk of birds are at 40 yds, the furthest decoys are at 50yds

Attachments

• SnowsJan21_2015.jpg
    SnowsJan21_2015.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 30
meatgetter said:
nicapopolis said:
Thwacker said:
Some good points, but public that you pay for, if you earn a wage earn it is the old school way, it's not like high country hunting or slough hunting, it's organized (or some what) I do understand what you are saying but if you are a hunter( let's stick together) that doesn't have a lot of time to scout public pay to hunt land that you might draw one card a year to hunt. someone government, state or someone should make it a bit easier to find your paid for blind, it's like sitting on state owned freeways traffic...... Irritating. Cliché.....2 cents
Definitely agree with you there. Always room for improvement with the staff, adding more staff, more funding, etc.

The great thing about Wister is other than a few days a season you are pretty much always going to get on. If you stick around, with some wind afternoon hunts can be phenomenal. This allows you to really learn the place well.

Nic you jinxed it.... "other than a few days a season you are pretty much always going to get on" Maybe not anymore!
Hahah Blake. The word has been out. No one wants to put in the work and gives up after a few slow days.

surfcity said:
ilovesprig said:
John,

They were talking about some guys yesterday taking hundred yard shots shooting mudhens and cormorsts
Geez I guess I got lucky

BTW highway 111 has a border check and a narco dog.
Dog was going nuts around my truck I had a little reefer for the ride home. He told me to leave the stash at home and let me go whew...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

DUDE!.......Probably not a good idea carrying the "hippie lettuce" around with you while hunting...... ::)

I never ever ever have hunted under anykind of influence.

The hippie lettuce is how I like to roll, been smoking the stuff for a very long time. Besides I have a "licence" :)
a pipe load in the parking lot after a long ass day of hunting was AWESOME

I didn't mean to offend anyone or for you to think I was hunting while "stoned".

It was a heads up for anyone that might enjoy the same thing after a long day

That was all I meant by the statement

Well how about that!?! All of a sudden the Wister thread got a lot more interesting!

To each his (or her) own. As for me, I take my hunting straight, thanks. What you do after you empty your firearm is your business. I'm sure there are folks reading this thread who will benefit from your heads up about the dog. Thanks for posting.

Bonejour said:
Well how about that!?! All of a sudden the Wister thread got a lot more interesting!

To each his (or her) own. As for me, I take my hunting straight, thanks. What you do after you empty your firearm is your business. I'm sure there are folks reading this thread who will benefit from your heads up about the dog. Thanks for posting.

Everyone is sick and dying now days. ???

Apparently, I'm a little naïve about partaking in dope smoking (despite being raised in the 60's)....After hunting at Wister all day in the sun, the last thing I'd want to do is smoke anything before driving home.

I can also say this about smoking while hunting on Wister or San J......If you're caught on the area with dope, you will be banned for the year.....It was even announced before the shoot at San J.

ps.....Drinking alcohol while hunting brings the same result.

Holly poo,
I posted something that I thought would help out my fellow hunters. Being judged on this site is something that I did not expect.
I was just relaying an experience that could save a lot of people a lot of time and trouble.
Thats all I was doing.

To each there own. Some people prefer a cocktail after a day on the refuge I don't judge guys hammering brews and driving down the road.
I think that is fun, meeting guys you never met before talking hunting sharing a puff or a brew together after a hunt.

Heck, the guys that jumped my Dove hole were all about that, after the shoot we talked had a puff and drank a brew Met some great guys. Now they are my turkey scouts Since my turkey spot is 2.5hrs away from HB These guys will text me and let me know what they have been seeing around my turkey spot.
I consider these "stoners" my friends that I probably would have never have had unless we smoked a peace pipe.
These guys are in there twenty's and were raised right with guns and hunting. At the end of the day I really appreciated these guys Good group of young hard core gun loving young Americans

BTW - They are seeing lots of the big birds

Don't think your being judged here and I am sure the info will be helpful to someone besides yourself. As Sprig said, be careful on refuge land and or if contacted by Federal agents such as BLM rangers or USFW peeps. That stuff is still illegal federally with or without a rec and can result in a cite and being banned from the refuge. We all have our opinions and you know the saying, opinions are like arse holes and everyone's got one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw

You can scout from basically 6 roads.......Davis, Noffsinger, Beach, Honker, Beal, and a little from Alcott.....There are signs on all the interior & exterior roads stating the road and area is closed on off days.....PLEASE READ THE REGULATIONS ON THE BACK OF THE WISTER MAP..... ???

Reactions: 2dogs1name

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu