Wow!...First Turkey 25 years ago...1996

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
I had actually started hunting turkeys the year before with my old buddy Cal...Had a jake in front of me at about 20 yds...Just couldn't see his beard and eventually he ran away...It was the only turkey I had an opportunity at the rest of the year.

By the time 1996 rolled around, I was hooked on turkeys...Hunting nothing but public and not many turkeys yet, it was tough...One day, I saw an old baseball buddy that had property up in Mesa Grande...He told me that turkeys had moved into his area...So one afternoon, I headed for his place...Armed with my Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag, a single Lohman box call, and a Lohman crow call.

Walked around for awhile, then got down on the lower part of the property and I let out a crow call...Was that a gobble?...Tried it again, but nothin'...Walked a little ways and hit the box...Hmmmm...That sure sounded like a gobble...Hit it again, and this time, it was no doubt a gobble...Now, I'm getting nervous...What do I do, where do I go, sit down, call again, get closer?...Before I knew, a thunderous gobble lights me up...Dang...I just get behind the biggest oak that's close...I peek around the tree, and there they are at 30 yds, staring right at me...One longbeard and one jake...Now what?...Well, I decide to move around the tree for a better angle...In the process, I hear every turkey hunters worse sound...A loud PUTT!...Even early on, I knew want that meant...I look around the tree again, but this time, my Mossy is coming up with me...I don't see them, then there they are walking away looking back...I pick the closest bird and let loose...Federal 3 1/2" copper coated lead 4's...And we have a flopper!...It was the jake and I could've cared less...My heart was pumping like no other...:joy:

Little did I know, my passion for these birds would lead me to the hallows of Alabama, the big sky of Montana, land of Geronimo, mountains of Utah, Colorado, and to the plains of Kansas...Nowadays, it's mostly about watching others get that thrill...Bring on the youth hunts next week and our opener on the 27th... :blush:

1st turkey 1996 and few others over the years.

.1st turkey 1996.jpg038.JPGIMG_1294.JPGIMG_1411.JPGIMG_1415.JPGIMG_7270.JPGturkey hunt 5-5-12 024.JPG

That was a great story Steve!! haven't landed my first Turkey yet but I'm already hooked chasing them..its amazing how relatively new Turkey hunting is in places that didn't have them before.

Jeez stevo...im feelin old...smacked my first in 89 on fort hunter liggett alll down hill from there!! Love the the yard bird!!

Reactions: ilovesprig
Jeez stevo...im feelin old...smacked my first in 89 on fort hunter liggett all down hill from there!! Love the the yard bird!!

Yep Matty...Started late on the yard birds (46)...Did hunt them in the fall in the Kaibab with my dad...Hell, we were using rifles...Still have the metal tag...1971...lol

Reactions: HATCHET1
Great story! Inspired me to want to get back on the saddle.

I need to get back on trying for a turkey. I got burned out after 5 years of nothing. I spent a bunch of time scouting all over. Unfortunately I had no friends that turkey hunt to teach me the way. I did all the research I could and tried to figure it out on my own. I went to the turkey tune up for 4 years and got drawn 3 years at Southerland and only saw one bird in our zone. I was just defeated. I could only find birds on private land or local parks. I just need to get after it again

Thanks for sharing the story. I have been on the fence with regards to getting serious about turkeys. It's a good reminder that there is a first time for everyone for every species and I should simply jump in without letting more time pass by.

Thanks for sharing the story. I have been on the fence with regards to getting serious about turkeys. It's a good reminder that there is a first time for everyone for every species and I should simply jump in without letting more time pass by.

The turkey tune-up would've been a perfect format for ya...A little driving around our back country will get you pumped.

.017.JPG

great memories there, good to see Massie in the line up of photos.
Let's keeping it rolling for the next generation.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu