WTH happened to all the turkeys?!

Matagi

Mar 1, 2011
Took my 5 yearold today to a spot that I called in several jakes on Monday. I get to the hunting area and listen for the gobbles to come off the tree tops... Nothing. I use my haint gobble tube and give a nice loud gobble... Nothing. I get us set up in a spot where I figured the turkeys would roll through... Nothing. We noticed some movement in the field and see a fat bobcat rolling through and think huh that's cool. We move down and do a little trolling by calling and walking and we see another fat bobcat. Then it dawned on me, these cats are here for a reason and the reason are the turkeys that are no longer here. I try two more spots without a single gobble, first time ever this season.

How's the gobblers in other places?

Dude I'm in your boat. I had heavy turkey activity and now nothing. I have been useing a bow but it dosent matter what I'm useing if I can't even get a shot. I still have 2 to kill and am starting to regret passing on a jake a cupple of hunts ago

Activitys gobe down hill saw a bunch of birds at one spot at 9 or so for the first week of the season havnt even seen any in two weeks where i can hunt at least

I have seen 3 or 4 good size toms the last couple of weekends and probably 20 to 30 hens [and probably some jakes] but they have all been on private land. I have seen some tracks, but small ones on some of the trails I have been using but no sign of turkeys in area where I could shoot em.

Snake Charmer said:
Its been very quiet at my place for the last two weeks, the hens have dispersed and the toms and jake's are not gobbling much and I'm not seeing them much either, it might be over....

Booooooo

I will put an arrow threw one I promis

It was quiet at my spot on Friday too. I heard some gobbling at grey light and then it went quiet at fly down. So I move to a group of pines half way up a hill and broke out one of my HOOKS CALLS and got gobbles right away 40mins later three toms two jakes and 5 hens show up at the top of the hill. I was able to call the hens into 40yrds, but The toms were all lined up for a triple. I couldn't get them to spread out so I could whack one. So after ten mins I had to let them walk away. And while I was trying to call them back a group of Jakes came in from a different angle and busted me.I was real close to getting a nice mature bird. Still totally henned up at my spot.

Ok back in business this morning. Got some nice gobbles on the roost and had the flock coming my way until the hens decided to go back when they got to about 40 yards with the big boys down a small knoll. Sooooo close but yet soooo far. After 0800 the hot air flowed in and all calling just stopped as fast as it came. Second spot brought four hens and that was it. Done at 1430.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu