X9C- Premium tag?

Frank Gonzalez

Mar 22, 2018
Anyone have any idea why X9C is a premium tag?
Being the zone is so big, and after studying On-X maps, I decided to hunt the White Mountains area and am eating tag soup this year. I camped and hunted 5 days; put almost 40 miles on my boots and saw literally nothing- no tracks, no droppings, no water lol; nothing. Any creeks or streams showing on On-X were dried up. Lots of shale/rocks.
Luckily I only had 1 point to I guess it didn’t cost me anything, but still.... man it was a long tough hike. And a hike is what it was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any zone that has more people applying than there are tags available is a “premium” tag. It has to do with the demand for tags, not the quality of the hunt. Deer density there is lower than the other X9 zones but the success rate is pretty good and there are some good bucks in there.

I have heard of some great bucks coming out of 9c and you can hunt it a lot more frequently than the other zones. X9c had a 44% success rate in 2017 compare that to D16’s 8% and I would say that X9c is a great zone. Did you do your research on where to go?

ACB5EE94-400F-4E68-8CD6-F1416384A1F3.png

I must have chosen the wrong area to hunt. One of the problems is the size of the area. It’s huge

I must have chosen the wrong area to hunt. One of the problems is the size of the area. It’s huge

If you don’t know a unit it really helps to talk to the game manager for the unit. I always take some ONX screenshots etc to send them. If they can tell you are serious about doing research they will be much more open about information.

Did you hike a lot? Or spend ALOT of time behind glass? Bucks are in a lot of areas of that zone, but there is quite a bit of area that you can throw out.

The good news is that you can hunt it a lot and your chance for a very respectable buck is there every year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Did you hike a lot? Or spend ALOT of time behind glass? Bucks are in a lot of areas of that zone, but there is quite a bit of area that you can throw out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I did quite a bit of both. I hiked out every morning to glass for a few hours. Dawn, afternoon, pre-sunset.
Like I said I put in 35-40 miles and about 6-8 hours a day of glassing and saw nothing. I was up about 10,000 ft so, again, I don’t know if that was the problem. It was nice and cool up there 50-55 degrees during the day and low 20’s at night.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu