Yesterdays Meeting Predator Policy

wheels

Mar 1, 2011
East County, Ca
sdcvc.com
Yes I went and there was a great showing. People want to know what I thought and how the meeting went.

The meeting was suppose to be a open discussion, similar to a round-table setting, to work on the issues brought up in the agenda. The original group from the first meeting back in the middle of 2012 was given the predator codes including the title 14 predator regs and was told to go through them. They were told to comment on areas they would like to see changed or felt needed updating. They were just looking for input and it didn't mean it would be used as a policy change but rather just comments for consideration. Then they would take those comments, go through them and discuss them at this meeting. That didn't happen because there was so many opposing comments from the public yesterday.

As we all know, the people that showed up at the first meeting have a different view than us hunters. BUT, and I say BUT, they showed up and we didn't (that is me included). That is our fault. Noelle, who is one of the Directors for the Farm Bureau, showed up as well and she gave input at the first meeting. She is on our side. But the majority who showed on the first meeting were on the opposite side of the hunters. They were given the codes and and were asked for their advice. We didn't like what they said, so we decided to show up in force at this meeting. I would say they got the point but it can’t stop here.

This is what I personally feel; everyone can take it as they would like. I feel us hunters have let each-other down. We must, MUST band together and have one common goal, and that is to keep hunting, on all levels, open in this state. We must be involved in the process. There were a lot of people at the meeting yesterday and I will guess that about 90% won't do the homework that we were sent home to do. They will be the ones that complain about the old days and how we used to be able to hunt everywhere and we didn't have to deal with these issues. Well that kind of thinking doesn't work people. It doesn't WORK. We must be involved and have one voice. I am a fireman, not a lawyer and I will do everything I can. But I can't do everything either. I am on multiple boards, have kids and want to spend time in the field like us all. But I will be involved and very involved in trying to help learn how to be part of the solution. That is what we were told yesterday in my opinion. We were told to go home and do some homework.

So this is what we were told to do:

• Go to the Commission Site http://www.fgc.ca.gov/ and click on the "Join our electronic mailing list to receive meeting agendas, including committee agendas, and announcements" . This way we show up like we should have the first time.
  • Go to the Agenda http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2014/jan/011514wrcagd.pdf of yesterdays meeting and become familiar with what was talked about
  • Then go to the Predator Policy Worksheet, This is from the first meeting and the comments were from the 15 people that showed up. http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2014/jan/Predator_Policy_Worksheet.pdf
  • Read the regulations and code and make your own responses. You must bring some fact and do some research. This is what the Anti's did
  • To see some examples you can follow what some of us did. http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2014/jan/011514docs.aspx
  • The above link I added also shows comments people made about Lead Ban and other areas of the agenda
  • You have a voice and I know we all know it isn't as big as HSUS but we have one, so use it.

I hope I have given you a starting point. I hope you get involved. We all know that this is just the start of a battle that will go on for years. Last year it was lead and bobcats, and this year it is predators in general. Who knows what next year will bring. Maybe it will be the deer or quail. One thing I will say, if you just sit back and let me, or someone else do all the work, it won't all get done.

You might be asking how can you be involved more? I would suggest if you are part of a hunting group or recreational group then connect that group with the San Diego County Wildlife Federation. Maybe this website SCH should be involved with them. http://www.sdcwf.org/

The reason why organizations need to be involved with the bigger group is because bigger groups have bigger voices than just one.

Sorry for rambling on and I am sure I missed some points of the meeting. Like I said I am a fireman, not a lawyer and this is all new to me but I am learning quickly.
Thanks

Robert Williams

Thanks for going & for the heads up

Calguns is organizing a hunting action committee with people all over the state so you should see us pulling things together to help in this fight.

Wheels, thanks for all this. I'll sign up for agenda/scheduling updates so I can plan ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert, I really appreciate your posture on how to get things done; you seem to have some heavy supporters. With your through reporting I believe you will stir up fellow hunters and create a noble and just cause that many level headed hunters will follow. As you implied, we need to organize in a intelligent and calm manor with experts to reach for and accomplish reasonable goals and respect for our generation and future generations of hunters.
You make a father proud with your tenacity and organization skills. I will support your effort by signing up for minutes and agendas. I hope to attend some meetings with you in the near future.
Jack Williams

Thanks for all the info Wheels. I agree with everything you're saying. I think all this will bring a lot of awareness from hunters and should hopefully help our efforts in the future.

I sure hope we can get SOMEONE interested in our hunting rights being taken away by HSUS.

They have an agenda on the table for now 'DFW'. There is NO RESPONSE from us.

Maybe someone ELSE will take care of it, right?

Just like mountain lions. That was someone else's thing.

TonyS said:
I sure hope we can get SOMEONE interested in our hunting rights being taken away by HSUS.

They have an agenda on the table for now 'DFW'. There is NO RESPONSE from us.

Maybe someone ELSE will take care of it, right?

Just like mountain lions. That was someone else's thing.

Tony what do you mean no Responses from us?

I have personally put in responses. My responses are sitting on the Fish and Game commission site now. I say you take some time and do the same. We all need to do our part or yes it might just turn out like the Mtn Lion did.

New to hunting but I have seen this before with fishing and spearing and the MLPA process. Being able to define the science behind the decision can be very effective. Just ask the guys who shut down fishing. But you can fight back against anti hunting interest if you are calm, respectable and organized. But you have to decide to fight and put effort into it. They likely have money behind them that is greater than the money behind hunting.

I would also find no hunters who are help by the hunting of predators like ranchers and farmers and cat owners. They can be a big asset.

Wheels thanks for doing your part. Your right that these activist have some pretty gnarly agendas that go directly against our rights. The same stuff is happening on the fishing side of the table. I try and make most of the hearings regarding the children's pool sea lion problem. I do know that most of these activists don't have jobs that depend on them being there like we have whether that's self employment, fire, pd, active duty, ect... Sit back and keep hunting and not participating In the politics of these issues and there won't be anything for us to shoot on our budgets.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu