Yet another hunting newbie from San Diego

Seculartheocrat

Apr 15, 2013
Evening everyone,

Just hoping to find some good advice and support from the local seemingly nonexistent hunting community here in sunny san diego.

I myself am new to hunting, have gone more than a few times with my step dad long ago in the before time but never anything serious. I cant really explain why all of a sudden i have a vested interest in learning this sport now... guess i just put two and two together and figured out that my love of the outdoors and nature, and passion for firearms can go hand in hand heh.

That said i look forward to learning more about this skill set, and am open to any advice that can be given by anyone of any skill level. I am most interested in hunting the ever elusive wild pig/boar in CNF as i already have a map and am relatively proficient at map and compass navigation (had it beat into me by the marine corps heh). If anyone can give me some newbie tips id appreciate it. I know theres no magic bullet (pun intended) when it comes to learning a new skill set and the only way to progress is
milage under my boots but i figure theres no harm in asking those who've tread the path im embarking on for whatever wisdom they might be able to offer. I have gotten my license, tags and have more than a couple options for firearms, although im questioning whether to use my .223 ar-15 or my dpms-lr308 for taking pigs. Ive read ar-15 may not pack enough oomf to drop them clean. Im all about not making the poor critters suffer so if anyone can verify whether that is true or not id appreciate it.

Anywho, im pretty much just pouring over various maps planning out my trip and any advice on what should be in a standard hunting kit for pigs would be appreciated.

Anyways thanks in advance to the hunting gurus of this forum and i wish you all a fantastic hunt.

~S

The elusive pigs in the CNF are just that. There have been a few shot, but not many for the amount of hunters that are looking for them. I'm still looking for one too.
Welcome to the site

Welcome to the website Seculartheocrat.

.223 may be a bit on the light side for wild hog. I would start at 24 caliber and go up.

Posted by: NBK
« on: Yesterday at 11:08:03 PM »
Welcome to the website Seculartheocrat.

".223 may be a bit on the light side for wild hog. I would start at 24 caliber and go up."

That's what ive read as well. Ive also read of people that swear by it as a legitimate option for boar, hence my confusion. It does seem kind of light to me as well even though i have 62gr V-Max rounds i can put together for some of the more ornery critters. I may just stick with my .308, although its heavier and therefore slower on the snap shot, though i suppose for pig a snap shot would like be no bueno anyways due to the relatively small target area for the clean kill shot.

Posted by: Lungpopper
« on: Yesterday at 11:05:31 PM »
" The elusive pigs in the CNF are just that. There have been a few shot, but not many for the amount of hunters that are looking for them. I'm still looking for one too.
Welcome to the site."

Trackin on that as well, ive read a lot about experienced hunters going in 20+ times w/o even a single sighting. I dont presume to be able to find them easily if at all but that is what makes the challenge so much more rewarding! Plus i figure if i can get used to tracking a "ghost" the more common critters should be, relatively speaker, easier to hunt by definition. I have a bad habit of picking the most difficult path to a goal, my wife constantly harps on me for making things "more difficult than they need to be." I suspect this is likely an example of such.

Anyways gents, thanks for the advice it is much appreciated. Hope you have a fantastic day and i look forward to any more advice i can get!

My handle is Secular Theocrat and its just a joke. Its a contradiction because you cant have a theocrat who's secular. Just an old name that i made about 13 years ago that i keep because its always available and its funny to watch people tack on hidden meanings and implications to it that arent there.

Although Secular The OC Rat is clever, i will admit ive not heard that one before heh.

Welcome to SCH Secular Theocrat! (I admit it - I had to look both words up on dictionary.com)

Secular the OC Rat is cool too. That could be your gangsta name!

Good luck to you!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu