You'll miss the rut if you sit on your butt!

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
Well, enough sitting on my butt. I'm off to my stand. A chill in the air and a little light rain, got my call, my decoy and scent. Rut makes the world go 'round!

Good luck with this cooler weather I bet it'll get the deer moving and you'll kill one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hope your see some activity. The weather is good for sure. Keep us posted.

Thanks guys. Kinda quiet. A couple of does after first light, then a larger group ran through later. All about 200 yds upwind. This squirrel has been hanging around his woodpile.
a33e06661a33bcab95940e12586f7cd7.jpg
I drew and anchored a couple of times, but that's LP's and Random's thing.
This little spike came through and I gave me lots of opportunities to draw and anchor.
56b355a0f92dfb312892575119043e8d.jpg7e76f62563ec8c44a00b818d11b3cd78.jpg

Nice... Thanks for sharing your notes and photos. The weather is about to turn here in Virginia. We are in peak white tail rut and maybe the cold weather that is rolling in tomorrow will keep the bucks working through the start of rifle season.

xjixta said:
Good luck!

Also what is this "rut" you guys keep mentioning. Go easy on me guys. Lol

The rut is when the does are in "heat" (ready to breed) and the bucks smell/ sense that and go stupid and start to do things more uncharacteristic like; venture during daylight hours more, not tend to care about you being there as much.

Ajsnack said:
The rut is when the does are in "heat" (ready to breed) and the bucks smell/ sense that and go stupid and start to do things more uncharacteristic like; venture during daylight hours more, not tend to care about you being there as much.

So is there a certain time in which this usual happens or is it just a guess?

And thanks for the Info guys

Yes it happens every year during oct-dec but a lot I things can affect it. Weather and location being the big factors.

Good luck Don, hope you get them moving around you. Rut was on this year from start of D11 general hunt, should be going for awhile. Cool pics!

Here's some good info......it's on WT but very similar to our deer.

Their theory on 13 phases is what you want to watch http://www.druryoutdoors.com

It's all about the time of year per your area. The weather just makes them move or hunker down & go nocturnal.

Around Halloween the bucks are fired up and just a few of the does are in estrus so all the bucks are checking does looking for that stinky one running around. It's the best for seeing lots of bucks if you can find the does.

Now there's another study on Mule deer by a hunter that couldn't hunt them after he got to understand them. I'll look it up and get back

Well I watched that garbage for a few minutes only. There will always be a Yahoo that wants to touch and get to know and make friends with wild animals out there(shades of Timothy Treadwell) and make a big deal of it and try and get some recognition for it. Personally I don't care if this guy is a scientist, these are wild animals there not meant to be pets, in the end He is doing more damage to these animals by breaking down there natural fear of man and making them his Buddies or if you will life mates. I have to hazard a guess and would say he has to handle there scat and feel there life in it to be closer to them and to be part of them(Timothy Treadwell) This is exactly what we need is more fuel for the antis to campaign with.
Rant over.

Dude I was just trying to give the new hunter a few perspectives on deer behavior.....I told you he was a little off.......and don't forget get the guy in Canada that was all black & brown bears. Canada's F&W stopped him.

MJB said:
Dude I was just trying to give the new hunter a few perspectives on deer behavior.....I told you he was a little off.......and don't forget get the guy in Canada that was all black & brown bears. Canada's F&W stopped him.
No sweat Mark. I spent the video listening to their grunts and bleats so I can call more effectively. Very instructive. Thanks.
:)

motorhead,

It is obvious from your comments you didn't actually watch the show. If you did you would see how wrong your comments are.

but there's no stopping opinion, everybody's got one.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu