Youth Opener 2018

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
The NWTF and SCI sponsored youth turkey hunt on the Santa Ysabel Preserve was a rousing success again this year.....Not just by the numbers of birds taken, but the learning of turkey hunting, the outdoors, and the patience it takes in life in general.

5 birds were shot (25%).....2 longbeards & 3 jakes....There were a couple misses and a couple of close encounters without a shot taken.....Most the kids are pretty small and moving a full size gun into position to shoot can be a taunting task....Oh and add in the bundled up factor because both days were really, really cold with strong winds.

Here's a few of pictures, including my girl Gracie who got her 1st Longbeard (shot her 1st turkey last year on the youth hunt).....Our hunt was so exciting.....He let out a thunderous gobble next to us at 10 yds, and right before he strutted into the decoys.....Gracie dropped him with her little 20 gauge.

Breakfast at the Rong Branch never tasted better after the cold & fun morning.....These parents get it and you can tell it in their children.....The youth events never get old.....:heart:

A huge shout out and thank you to all the county park rangers and folks that make this event happen....Also thank you to all the mentors and SCI....NWTF could not pull this off without you all....Till next year.

.197.JPG 199.JPG 017.JPG 022.JPG

Last edited:
Great job Steve! Looks like another great hunt with the kids and mentors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Isaac. He had a blast today and talked talked talked about how great it was. He said it was freezing cold but it was worth it. He said he was just like me and he was trying so hard but sometimes it just doesn’t work out. That kid is lightning in a bottle and something special. Glad they got to hang out with Grandpa @BBH for the weekend. I am sure it is a memory they will cherish forecer.

I appreciate you putting it together and hopefully next year the boys will get their first Turks. I fly home tomorrow and can’t wait to see them and hear of their grand hunting adventures.

Drew,

Isaac is a real character and trooper hanging as long as he did in that weather.....There's little doubt he would've pulled the trigger Saturday......;)

.023.JPG

Reactions: TRICER and BBH
Drew,

Isaac is a real character and trooper hanging as long as he did in that weather.....There's little doubt he would've pulled the trigger Saturday......;)

.View attachment 34744
Ya Steve Ike is a chip off the old block. Definitely not lacking in self confidence and candor. He was telling me all about the cow’s and how funny they were. He loves a good adventure and makes for a very entertaining hunting partner.

Had a great time at the 2018 NWTF Youth Turkey Hunt at the Santa Ysabel Preserve with my grandsons Drew and Issac. Here is the view from our hideout under a big Oak tree with Issac ready to shoot and Tanner calling. I want to thank @ilovesprig and all involved for their hard work making this happen!Issac_NWTF.jpg

Last edited:
Couple more pix from the hunts....Can you tell it was early in the morning & we're in SoCal.........lol

PS.....Chase & Ethan had a big longbeard coming in when a coyote chased it into a tree.....Then 4 jakes and 7 hens started chasing the coyote.....One of the jakes didn't make it.

. 001.JPG 002.JPG 006.JPG009.JPG

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu