Youth waterfowl Day....2-3-24

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Took Otto out to San Jacinto W.A. Saturday morning...Just happened to know a friend of friend that had the #6 ressie and we got on with them...After a pancake & sausage breakfast...We were ready to go.

With the youth hunt basically just a regular shoot day with the season ending on the 31st...It started out pretty slow in what is considered one of the best spots...Otto got a couple, but then went to a shooting slump and missed a few that he would normally get...By 10:30, he did have 4 and the other youngster did get one...I don't think it was 1st duck, but close...By now it was time for lunch and the festivities...11:00 am

The crew at San J, CWA, and volunteers put on a very nice lunch and raffle for the kids...Everyone won at least one item and many won two...I do believe there were 3 guns given away as well ...Thank you all.

After the break, most kids went home...So Otto and I had the pond to ourselves...That was good and bad...Nobody blowing their kazoos and taking shots at 70 yds, but also nobody keeping the birds from landing with the 200+ coots that were there...Our less is more approach (5 decoys with movement) was OK early, but not so much now...We just hoped that at least 3 birds would make a mistake and as the afternoon progressed...3 did...In fact, Otto killed the last 5 birds in a row...More like normal.

A glorious morning, trying times in the middle, and finished with high 5's...What a great day!....... :heart:

IMG_8630.JPGIMG_3963.JPGIMG_3972.JPGIMG_3975.JPGIMG_3996 - Copy.JPGIMG_4004.JPGIMG_4007.JPGIMG_4012.JPGIMG_4029 - Copy.JPG

Looks like a real good turnout, and the staff and volunteers did a great job as usual, so important to keep the kids involved. Next year hoping the birds have a full week of rest . We'll done gents

Reactions: ilovesprig
Looks like a real good turnout, and the staff and volunteers did a great job as usual, so important to keep the kids involved. Next year hoping the birds have a full week of rest . We'll done gents

With this new model, we'll see if they adjust the date...Next year the 31st falls on a Friday............:confused:

IMG_4005.JPG

This thread made my day!!

Steve,

Great write up and pics. What a great event down there… the way it should be, with tons of support for youth.

Congrats all around!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu