Yup another one.. putting the boat away for a rifle.

encore90230

Jan 2, 2017
Hello All

I guess you all already know I'm new since i'm in this section but I did want to introduce myself. I'm located 3 min from the marina so yeah hunting is going to be a traveling experience for me. For now I want to get into hogs and yeah rabbit as I actually like the way they taste. I figure the Los Padres national forest will by my haunts. I have been looking into the BML but lord it's hard to find a spot.

I plan on scouting 2 times a month. I have been researching an area just off the 126 just north of Edwards canyon any info on where to scout would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Ocurtis and msailor
Welcome to the site,

Pigs are a pay to play in this state, not saying you can't ever get one in public land but it's like catching a blue while and landing it off the beach.... No sorry it's even harder.

Lots of other game to chase up there though. Small game and big like deer.

Get some maps and report back :)

yeah that's what I've been hearing but then why hunt if it's commercialized. Kind of like going on the charters out fishing.. sure they know the spots but with enough time out there searching you'll sure find something yourself. Hopefully with these rains things will start looking up and

its not that easy and its still fair chase on animals that do not have fences to keep them in.

You are right the rain will start to improve things on BLM and NF land near the private land that holds pigs. The drought has been a ass kicker for the last 6 years so its going to take some time.

yup hopefully it will clear up now and then so I can get out just to get a look at the area. maybe you can help me out I was wondering how to narrow down which map I need so I can stay in the boundary's of the BLM. the highlighted one is where i was thinking of checking out.
upload_2017-1-2_15-33-9.png

get the onx map app for your phone. it really is worth the money for finding and identifying private and public land

that area will not have pigs 100% sure of that, you need to get up north by SLO

onx app, I have to look that up? I use my computer to do the basic area searching and from my experiance phones dont have keep good reception to be able to get location. I digged up my old garmin legend which I planned to us to mark points of interest from the ground.
SLO hmm but staying in the NF but I thought that place got burned out and we are not allowed in there.

Welcome to the forum. Pigs can be found on public land in CA, but you'd need a dog and several years of experience trying to locate the pigs, in order to have a good chance of success. The guys here who have dogs and hunt public are not likely to give you their spots after all the effort they've put in finding them. Professional guides can teach you a lot about hunting here, and the rates are generally reasonable. Or you could pay for a DIY hunt on Tejon if you're comfortable enough. I don't know where you're from, but this is nothing like pig hunting in AR or TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: encore90230
I live in the approx area of the pic you put up. You will not see a babe nor hear a squeal. Aeon is right, you gotta get up north. Stop thinking Socal and start thinking Central California. I know its a drive, but that's hunting bro...Los Padres hasn't had pigs in years. One tip that works well, call all of the different ranger stations. Lots of times, you will talk to someone who has seen something or heard about someone else seeing something that you may be after.

Reactions: Bonejour
Sounds like hunters are a lot like boaters we never really give the exact coordinates. Ok I did as I get out there early to get my spot, usually before anyone else. If it's busy I go hunting for what ever game fish I can find else where no hating on my part. Then again I'm a luck SOB and always work some kind magic to fill my bag. I guess a weekend away is in store. Luckily I take off an extra day every other weekend to well forget about work. To be honest I dont want my hunting to be easy I want to work the animal. I know at times I might feel they working me but I really want to learn the hunt.

yup nothing in that area of the map. I work in SLO many times a month and i do see them on public and private land and close to roads but the roads are major 4x4 roads miles from pavement. im not allowed to hunt while at work but ive been able to make some friends from some of the ranches in the area but its rare.

I live in the approx area of the pic you put up. You will not see a babe nor hear a squeal. Aeon is right, you gotta get up north. Stop thinking Socal and start thinking Central California. I know its a drive, but that's hunting bro...Los Padres hasn't had pigs in years. One tip that works well, call all of the different ranger stations. Lots of times, you will talk to someone who has seen something or heard about someone else seeing something that you may be after.
Thanks for the heads up still I might make the trek as maybe I can find me some rabbits the area looks like there might be a plantation near by.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Public lands pigs are hard to find. Fortunately me and a friend of mine have them pretty well figured out, my buddy killed a good one with 3 1/4" tusk, biggest I've killed is right around 3".. it's all about boots on the ground. You will not find them driving around the roads, unless you are extremely lucky. I don't pay to hunt, so it was a struggle learning how to kill pigs. It will take more then 2 times a month to figure them out.. but if that's all you can do, make the best of it and spend every bit of time looking for pig tracks, once you find them take a week off work(if you can) and hunt that area as hard as you can. I'm now at 7 public land pigs under my belt since 2014. Im very fortunate! Good luck to you. If you can swing the money for a guided hunt, do it. You will learn a bit about pigs and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

see now that's what i"m talking about it about the average man taking back what god gave us. I'm so not into the making this a business even though I understand that everyone ones wants to make a penny. I want to hunt and do what we have always done rely on the earth. I've had enough of corporate america. I have another question but I'll put up another thread for it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu