zone A vs AO

mattpa

May 19, 2013
Im new to california hunting so i just wanna make sure im correct. If i buy a Zone A general tag that will allow me to bowhunt in zone A during the general season i dont need a AO tag to do that?

AO (archery only)
(2) Zones in Which Archery Only Tags are Valid. An archery only tag is valid for hunt G-10, and during the archery season and general season in all zones except C-1 through C-4 and X-1 through X-12.

If you wanted the option of using both a bow and rifle, you'd need the A zone North or South. The "A" is just a area designator. Its not for archery.

I personally like the AO tag. Although its archery only, its gives you a much bigger area to hunt. For example, if you had an A zone tag, you are restricted to that area whereas if you had an AO tag, you could hunt A zone, B zone and D zone if you wanted to. But you can't pull out a rifle if you wanted that option.

Clear as mud?

i Knew the "A" of Zone A was a designator. Just wanted to make sure i didnt need an AO tag to bow hunt and the i could bowhunt with the zone A tag. i will only be hunting Vandenberg. So the zone A tag would do me just fine this year maybe next year ill have more time to huntand can get to more areas. Thanks

With your A zone tag you can hunt in the general season only. You will need an A zone archery tag to hunt the archery season in A zone.

GENERALLY, the 2 seasons require different tags. There are exceptions.

^ this is not my understanding. The way I read it is that by purchasing my D-14 tag I can hunt archery or rifle during their respective seasons and the tag is good until filled. This is my first season so please correct me if I am incorrect.

Rob P. said:
With your A zone tag you can hunt in the general season only. You will need an A zone archery tag to hunt the archery season in A zone.

NOT GENERALLY. This really only applies for premium tags (i.e. X9A -A16, X12 -A20)

General zones have and archery and general season that can be hunted with ONE tag. For instance if you buy an A Zone tag you can hunt the archery season and the general season with that one tag. If you choose to buy an AO tag you can hunt the archery and general seasons with archery equipment only!

The same applies for D zone tags. They do not have any special archery tags. It is attached to the general tag.

A31, A32, etc. are totally different archery only tags that just so happen to share some of the same land that D11, D13, and A zone does.

So Hallx7 you are correct! Your D14 tag allows you to hunt the archery and general seasons.

Rob P. said:

WRONG! u can hunt the early archey season and the general season with a bow if u wanted to.

nicapopolis said:
Rob P. said:

NOT GENERALLY. This really only applies for premium tags (i.e. X9A -A16, X12 -A20)

General zones have and archery and general season that can be hunted with ONE tag. For instance if you buy an A Zone tag you can hunt the archery season and the general season with that one tag. If you choose to buy an AO tag you can hunt the archery and general seasons with archery equipment only!

The same applies for D zone tags. They do not have any special archery tags. It is attached to the general tag.

A31, A32, etc. are totally different archery only tags that just so happen to share some of the same land that D11, D13, and A zone does.

So Hallx7 you are correct! Your D14 tag allows you to hunt the archery and general seasons.

Thank you for the reassurance that I am understanding this correctly. And welcome!

mattpa said:
i Knew the "A" of Zone A was a designator. Just wanted to make sure i didnt need an AO tag to bow hunt and the i could bowhunt with the zone A tag. i will only be hunting Vandenberg. So the zone A tag would do me just fine this year maybe next year ill have more time to huntand can get to more areas. Thanks

Vandenberg has some killer deer. Good luck!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu