12 GA slugs..... spinning

D72Blazer

Apr 6, 2012
Lakeside, CA
Today I went to south bay rod and gun club to sight in my shotgun for slug hunting... I will be doing a hunt at Vandenberg base in late aug. I started with lead Remington slugs, using a rifled choke for slugs and everything was fine. Once I was happy with the sight in I switched to copper sabot slugs since we have to be lead free up at the base. all of my hits on paper were side profile holes. I am guessing that this means the bullet was over spun? can anyone help me with this? I want ethical shots that are accurate. Thaanks Derek

What was the yardage? If you're shooting out past 100 yards then a little side profiling won't be too bad. I'm not familiar with the copper slugs but if they're anything like the copper bullets, you're better off biting said bullet and sighting in with what you're going to shoot. I know they cost and arm and a leg, but at least you know exactly where to aim and what to expect.

If you're hunting deer with them, you should have no problem up to 100 yards. If you're hunting hogs, I'd say an ethical shot would be 60 yards or less. Those hogs can absorb some serious (non)lead.

Just my opinion. I'm certain someone will see if differently!

slugs are different than sabots (slugs = chunks of lead with forward mass and stabilizing fins) and copper sabots are solid copper bullets encased in plastic wad similar to a shotshell wad which seperates when the projectile exits the muzzle, slugs are designed to self stabilize and sabots require rifled barrels to stabilize to best effect. I have read that the Savage 20 gauge slug gun with sabots is the best to be had at the moment.

If you are shooting a smooth bore with a rifled choke you will need to shoot rifled slugs or full bore slugs. If you are shooting a fully rifled barrel you will need sabots.

If you shot sabots through a smooth bore with a choke that may have been the reason they were cutting paper oddly.

I shoot a Remington 870 with a fully rifled barrel and a 4x scope. Tack driver with a 546 gr sabot out to 125 yds.

SC that Savage 20 gauge is a great gun! Tar Hunt makes some phenomenal bolt action slug guns.

I was shooting a Remington 870 smoothbore with a rifled choke.. I have to be lead free on base and could only find the copper sabot slugs that were copper... every hole looked like it key holed.. so if I decide to continue to shoot the sabots I need a fully rifled barrel? At over 200 bucks fro a remington barrel I might look at getting something like the Mossberg combo for 400 bucks.. I looked at that savage and like that rig a lot but didn`t see it in 12GA and that's the ammo I have.. This close to my hunt I am starting to run short on funds..

At this point I'd stick to what you got and go for it. If you find out the hard way that you need a rifled barrel then do it then. Personally, I'd save that money for the hunt and go from there. Won't know til you try!

I broke down and ordered a rifled barrel.. the folks at fine firearms took care of me yet again. I love having such a great resource close by...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu