#2 tom

Matagi

Mar 1, 2011
After hunting this specific gobbler for several days before going to work, I finally got the gobbler to cross the road with 6 of his girl friends. The morning started with gobs amount of gobbling from the roost tree across the 79 on a nearby private property. Soon as fly down time came, the gobblers landed and everything went quiet. After a few hours of sporadic calling, I decided to break out my Haint Gobble call out to see if I can challenge the boss gobbler. I gave a couple yelps from a mouth call and box call and gave a Jake gobble. I did this a few times and noticed three hens walking down the dirt road towards my hilltop pasture. As the hens came feeding and walking I watched three more hens come out of the brush with a big purple blob following them. Right away I noticed the split tail fan and saw that it was the gobbler I have been chasing for some time.

I gave a few soft purrs and clucks to let the flock know where my DSD hen was located (only used a single hen). Now the hens were just mingling and the gobbler in full strut going in circles for about a half hour. Soon the hens broke towards my location and dropped behind the hill out of my sight. At this point I though for sure that I wouldn't see them until I see a bright blue and red head come up over the hill towards the decoy. Now this is all great but he's now directly behind the decoy and will not move into range. As the tom strutted, two hens came up and over and started to fight with my decoy driving the tom insane.

Soon after all the commotion started the tom began to walk around the decoy towards my set up at around 20 yards. at that point I put the bead on his neck and bombs away! Drops like a sack of rocks without a nudge.

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
I'm not too picky but I'm going to try and bag this guys daddy. This gobbler weighed in at almost 20lbs, 8 inch beard and 3/4 in spurs so nice two year old Tom. The reservation was feeding this guy really nice cause he had a ton of fat on him.

Thanks guys! It was really nice to finally be able to out wit him. He's not a monster but the effort makes him a trophy in my book.

Planning to hold out as long as I can for a big one so might have to hunt during the bow season.

I was up on the hill today, called in 3 Jakes,and a nice 2 year old. I videod them at 15yrds and then ran them off. I watched 2 big boys follow a hen around for about an hour but I couldn't get her to come check me out. I will go back up in the morn and try to put an arrow in one of the big boys. I also got video of a couple deer at 15yrds,and I watched the 3 Jakes chase off a magnum size Bobcat. Lots going on out there today. What an excellent way to waste my day.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu