2016 SCH New Mexico Elk hunt (in the field report)

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
We all arrived yesterday and the long drive was pleasant and uneventful. Today was spent relaxing, telling stories of past hunts, Showing of new hunting gear, prepping gear and shooting gongs at distance. Very fun day for sure. Dinner didn't suck either. We had fresh grilled opah. And it was dandy!

We begin the hunt tomorrow.

Usual suspects:

NBK
That's Just My Game
Lungpopper
Snake Charmer
JP
Skinny Hunter
Rusty

The weather is on the cold side but the elk have been moving around so tomorrow will be spent looking in our usual areas that hold elk. Should be a fun day. We will keep you all up to date.

Re: 2016 SCH Elk hunt (in the field report)

Goodlucky guys!! Get em!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We shot 2 elk this morning with our long range guns. The test went well. Darryl's elk was 680 yards and mine was 575 yards. The Hornady ELD-X bullets worked great! More details to come.

Sweet! Congrats guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! what state are you guys in? New Mexico?

The first shot was a little back but still punched one lung. She took it like a trooper so I sent another on its way, that bullet broke her back and was recovered. She was a giant so it was a good test for the new ELD X bullets at distance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 35
Busy busy busy. Two elk Sunday, two more elk down yesterday and three more today. We are done. Work is not over though.

Attachments

• 20160119_140147.jpg
    20160119_140147.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 40
The SCH Elk team is now just having fun. We did five coyote stands today and we were able to get two to come in. Needless to say I blew a shot at 35 yards. "Just My Game" scored on the youngster! More tomorrow.

Oh, and we have some video we are almost sure will go viral!

Attachments

• 20160120_175328.jpg
    20160120_175328.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
awesome work guys, congrats. standing by for the full report and video.

MJB said:
Lead?

Welcome to the dark side!!

Yep...Fine Firearms is waiting on an order of GS custom bullets. Will play with when they arrive. Hoping Barnes will come out with a 6.5mm bullet with a wee bit more BC. The dark side is temporary.

And out of the 7 elk we just stoned, 4 were killed with Barnes X bullets and the the other three were an experiment regarding the Hornady ELD-X bullet.

End result was the same - 7 dead elk! :p

Below is where those 7 elk used to live...

Attachments

• 20160121_114247.jpg
    20160121_114247.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu