2018 Deer tags filled

wyorob

Oct 26, 2018
Probably an easy couple hundred miles of burned boot leather between the scouting and hunting. Did several weeks in the backcountry this year. Both were harvested from over 10 miles in. First one was a solo high country wilderness hunt. Second was a mid country (between sea level and alpine?) with friends.

Shitty thing, was talking with other hunters in the area and I guess there was a "hunt club" (the type you hear all the bad stories about) hammering the shit out of the bucks in a real good area. The group was seen several times with bucks in their camp, but never had a tag on a single buck. I'll let you draw your own conclusions but basically by the last week of the season we were told by a couple fellas that the forkie was probably the only horned thing left alive in the area. Tagged out during the last hour of the last day of the season. I had seen the "hunt club" hiking in and they didn't have anything on the ground but they seemed nervous as hell and I didn't waste any extra time talking to them because of the vibe they were putting off. Found out after about the untagged bucks when I ran into other hunters who had been running into those fellas all season. The good news is that the other hunters did point the game wardens in their direction.

Saw more bear sign this year than in the last few years combined. Hoping to punch that wilderness bear tag before the end of the year yet.

.photo_2018-12-01_08-43-36.jpgphoto_2018-12-01_08-43-36.jpg

Attachments

• 20181022_163313.jpg
    20181022_163313.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Rob! Glad to see another BHA member join this forum! I recognized your photo from the BHA Facebook post.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu