.223?

Robert2102

Mar 22, 2015
What can I hunt with a .223? I've been told only varmints, but it I have heard stories about using it for bigger game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Robert2102 said:
What can I hunt with a .223? I've been told only varmints, but it I have heard stories about using it for bigger game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It's all about shot placement just like bow hunting. know the limitation of your weapon. and use it wisely.
it is a center cartridge. so it is legal. get close and personnel.

Ghost

If you have to ask if it's OK you don't have the experience to use it on deer. Stick to coyotes and varmints. It's a often asked question "can I deer hunt with my ar" the answer for a novice hunter is no. Just to much to go wrong, and it will :)

For what its worth I have been shooting pigs with a .223 with the Razor back ammo for about 4 years now.

I have the luxury of picking the pigs I shoot and I never shoot at a moving target and I always shoot from a steady rest.

I have a lot of practice with the rifle and know my and its limitations. Ive never had an animal take a step...

Robert

what Bill said is true so it does with the Capt.
Practice at the Gun range until you are really ready.

then go out to the BLM land and shoot were it is safe.
practice shooting down hill, and shooting up hill.
have a hill behind the target as to be and make it safe.
have Fun and safe shooting.
Practice, practice.

Ghost

every animal that I hunt or exterminate needs to be put out in most humane way possible and quickest way. that is my way of thinking, I am no pro and can't say that they will drop dead every time but I sure do try my best. with practice and years (36) of hunting/shooting it will come natural to most. we all start somewhere and go from that point, early as a child or late as a new sport you picked up. this question has been tossed around in many forums and some hunters that do hunt deer with a .223 get a bad rap or frowned upon by some because they know what can happen and will happen most of the time, best thing would be is to buy a higher caliber rifle for deer. I have a .223 but only use it on yotes , I rather use my 30-06 on a deer any day because they are a very tough animal and can go miles after the shot if not placed right. like they mentioned above use that .223 to do some coyote/bobcat control in your area and save some deer/fawns. good luck buddy. stay safe ;)

ivhunter said:
every animal that I hunt or exterminate needs to be put out in most humane way possible and quickest way. that is my way of thinking, I am no pro and can't say that they will drop dead every time but I sure do try my best. with practice and years (36) of hunting/shooting it will come natural to most. we all start somewhere and go from that point, early as a child or late as a new sport you picked up. this question has been tossed around in many forums and some hunters that do hunt deer with a .223 get a bad rap or frowned upon by some because they know what can happen and will happen most of the time, best thing would be is to buy a higher caliber rifle for deer. I have a .223 but only use it on yotes , I rather use my 30-06 on a deer any day because they are a very tough animal and can go miles after the shot if not placed right. like they mentioned above use that .223 to do some coyote/bobcat control in your area and save some deer/fawns. good luck buddy. stay safe ;)

Hi Rick

it is always better to have a higher caliber. but I have seen more deer lost in the last 5 years from bow hunting because of shot placement.
in not accurate shots. 223 I believe if it's good enough for our service men then it should be good enough for deer. but then again like you said most hunters frown upon it. if the rifle is used effect it can and will take down big game.

it is light to carry. less weight and less recoil = more accuracy. while in the field.
for short range. use the right bullets, for an effective kill.
we can agree and dis agree but that's what makes the world go around.

Ghost

10-4 ghost... when I started out I only had a 30-06 and a 12g to my name. all my buddies would hunt yote with AR's and I would take my 30-06, it was funny to hear their rifles going off and you could tell when I shoot the big bang would almost knock the yote out before the bullet got to him. poor yotes didn't take that 30-06 bullet lightly. but anyways, like you mentioned ghost it is way lighter and I have a better scope on it also than my rifle maybe i'll give it a try next year and test it out for myself... but that's just a maybe i'll keep ya'll posted next year.

I don't know what a lighter rifle and less recoil has to do with accuracy. I think sighting your rifle in at the range and practicing is most likely the determining factor on that one. every year when my '06 goes off I never even notice it. Don't short change yourself with a light caliber bullet and hope for "good shot placement", that's hard to do sometimes when you jump a buck out of his bed and he's making his way across a canyon and you have just seconds to get on target and make things happen. Save yourself the potential heartbreak of hitting and losing a buck. Buy a rifle that's designed to kill deer effectively. BTMO

Mesmashy said:
I don't know what a lighter rifle and less recoil has to do with accuracy. I think sighting your rifle in at the range and practicing is most likely the determining factor on that one. every year when my '06 goes off I never even notice it. Don't short change yourself with a light caliber bullet and hope for "good shot placement", that's hard to do sometimes when you jump a buck out of his bed and he's making his way across a canyon and you have just seconds to get on target and make things happen. Save yourself the potential heartbreak of hitting and losing a buck. Buy a rifle that's designed to kill deer effectively. BTMO

check out this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qS77zWB0xM

The OP asked what can he kill with 223.
Answer deer and pig.

Should he upgrade, the answer is yes as soon as he can.
With a larger cartridge.

But mean while 223 will work fine. There are hunters all over you tube kill stuff all the time with 223.
It just has to be a good kill shot. Just like bow hunting.
If hunters can get with in 40 yards or less bow hunting certainly you can do that with a rifle.
Same technique, yes.

Both my low cost AR and Mini 14 can kill easily at 100 yards or less. Even if both weapons are 2 or 3 MOA.
Shoot for the heart, practice is the key.

My preference weapon is my 243. I have killed stuff with 223,243, 30-30, 308, 30-06, all of these have killed stuff dead.

Thanks for everyone's input, I have the experience using an ar for 10+ years in tactical situations and sure of shot placement, but just wanted to know if its good enough for a n animal bigger than a human. I think I'll go bigger caliber just for the humane kill, plus its a good reason to go shopping

I have no experience hunting big game, but I have shot ar's and own a few. From the sounds of the previous posts you may want to consider upgrading to a 6.8 SPC? You can use your same lower and a 6.8 upper can be found or built for prerty cheap. They use bullets twice the weight of the .223 and are just as accurate. I have read that lots of guys in Texas use them for boars many in an sbr configuration for maneuverability although the longer barrels generaly shoot longer distance more accurately. Also a lot of guys I talk to about big game like deer and elk say a lot is about the type of bullet used and weather it mushrooms or not. My brother in law prefers a .243 over larger calibers because he feels it is more accurate and will take down large game with the right bullet. Just my 2 cents of rambling, take from it what you will.

sent using the FORCE

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu