2nd annual Rifle and Pig hunt contest at the Camp Pendleton Sportsman's Club

Aeon

just a dude who duck hunts
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Feb 16, 2011
Last year i was super lucky and won a Rifle in the SCH Big Buck Tournament. With the Help of the Sportsman's club at Camp Pendleton we held a essay contest and gave away the rifle. On the night we handed last years winner the gun they took a vote and decided to do it every year..... I raised my hand and said "umm you know i do not always shoot the biggest buck and win a rifle right?" details details.

So this year i set out to win either the rifle or the bow with the intentions of giving it away again. Well thanks to some king guy and that crew of assassins called G team my bow kill was not a winner. So i did it the old fashioned way, I strong armed FINE FIREARMS into making me a smoking deal on a Remington 700 SPS in yes you guessed it 308. Marines seem to like this gun for some reason. What could make this contest even better? How about a pig hunt with GIANT SEQUOIA GUIDE SERVICE. I called up Neil and it was done!

So This years contest was open to any active duty member of the military with a Purple Heart. The topic for this years essay was to be Stewardship. We got a bunch of essays and the members of Sportsmans Club voted for the best. They keep wanting me to vote but who am i to vote on anything these HERO'S do.

Here is your winner :)
1stLT Bret Warming
warming_zpsd65721c0.jpg
In the photo you have 1stLT Warming(the guy holding the gun), His wife and kids and Cpl Forest with the Sportsman club.

A HUGE Thanks to Fine Firearms for helping me do this and to Neil at Giant Sequoia Guide Service. You guys rock for helping make this happen!!!!
http://www.giantsequoiaguideservice.com/
http://www.gunssandiego.com/

Here is the winning essay as voted on by the members of the Sportsman Club.

It is my belief that ethical hunters are one of the best practitioners of stewardship in the modern age. We are firm believers in the idea that preservation of habitat and wild game contributes to a better society. What sets outdoorsmen apart is the willingness to truly carry out what it means to be a good steward. The management of our resources, with regards to wilderness areas and the game species that live there, is the responsibility of every hunter. Our actions as hunters, from paying for tags and licenses, to making an ethical harvest of an animal, all contribute to the proper management of game habitat. Our fees contribute to research efforts and programs that ensure we are indeed leaving game populations and hunting areas better than we found them, and the responsible harvest of game species ensures healthy herds. The sum of our efforts, from the ticket counter through a day or weeks in the field, truly embodies the notion of stewardship.

Of course, the true purpose of stewardship is to guarantee that future generations have the same chances to enjoy hunting and the outdoors as we currently do. I was fortunate to be raised by a hunting family with great morals and appreciation for the animals we hunted. In fact, respect for the outdoors is one of the things I am most thankful to my family for giving me. As the father of three young children, I am proud to have the responsibility of teaching them the same ethical hunting practices that were shown to me as a child. Littering, dumping trash, or otherwise harming our hunting areas are not tolerated by my family, just as making an unethical shot on an animal is never acceptable. My oldest son, whose name happens to be Hunter, has spent hours watching for deer and elk with me, and caught many Cutthroat Trout from the small river where we frequently camped in Northern Idaho during my time there as a college student. He is nearly eight years old now, and although there are thousands of memories that have been created with him, his brother, and our baby daughter, the times spent in the field are undoubtedly my fondest memories thus far of their childhood.

I know that the example I set for my children as a steward of the outdoors is something that they will hold onto for their entire lives, and one day they will pass it to their children as well. Although they are young, I make it a point to stress to them that the actual harvest of an animal is not the only reason we hunt. It is important to me that a sincere love of the outdoors, adherence to hunting regulations, and respect for the animals that we pursue is paramount. Passing on the true meaning of stewardship to my children is the best way that I can ensure I’ve done my part as a hunter, outdoorsman, and father.

Stay tuned in Sept we will have a successful pig hunting report to post up!!!!!!!!!!

I sent out a big air clap to AEON. Keep up being a good dude. Congrats to the winner and whoever wins next

That's amazing Aeon. Great work to all involved, especially you, and to FF and GSGS for their generous support, and congratulations to the winner!

Awesome job Aeon! What a great event and outcome. And thanks for posting!

Sdbirds said:
I sent out a big air clap to AEON. Keep up being a good dude. Congrats to the winner and whoever wins next

X2 - Seriously awesome work man!

...and of course Fine Firearms and Neil at Giant Sequoia Guide Service. ;)

Another one of those story's that make you feel good. Great job Aeon you and Fine Firearms along with Neil Ray at GSGS all deserve a big round of applause. Congrats to 1st Lieutenant Warming. I can only hope all sportsmen feel the same about the outdoors as he does..

Thank you for taking care of my fellow Marines. A lot of these warriors have been places and seen things that no one should have to. I have found that hunting is a calming experience for most of these guys and guns and trips as giveaways enable them to get out in ways they, otherwise, might not have been able to. Thanks to Aeon, Camp Pendleton Sportsmans club, Fine Firearms, Giant Sequoia Gude Service for this example of generosity, and I'll throw in the Bow and Arrow Shop because of all they do also. I'm proud to know there are such good people in SoCal.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu