30-06 and H4350

a_gonzalez

Nov 5, 2012
Perris
Hey guys I came across a really big variation in data and I am not sure what to make of it. First off I am loading Sierra SBT .308 with H4350 and my Sierra manual states 46.9gr. min charge and 54.1gr. max charge but then I got a little curios and checked out Hodgdon reloading data webpage and it states 53gr. min and 59gr. max. This seems like a huge variation to me. Would anyone have experience with this particular load or have you noticed Sierra being way more conservative with their charge weight. Thank you for your help.

And are you looking at the same brand and style bullet. It DOES make a difference.

Yep exactly the same. Could it be the different components they must have used? It just seems like such a huge difference to be just the components.

No, 165gr, this is the load copied exactly from the Hodgdon webpage:
Min Max
165 GR. SIE SPBT Hodgdon H4350 .308" 3.300" 53.0 2678 38,400 CUP 59.0 2938 49,400 CUP

The test pressure barrel used to work up the loads must be different. Look at the barrel length and twist rate in each manual. Most of the ballisticians use the Wiseman & Co, Inc. test barrels but not all. That could be the difference.

In the past, I've noted some major differences between what Hodgdon showed as max load and what other references listed. Using IMR 4895 for .30-06, 150 gr, max loads shown by Speer/Lyman manual was around 54 gr, but Hodgdon said something like 59! I would recommend using the lighter recommendations, and work to the lesser of the max loads, and look for pressure signs.

Simi_Surfer said:
I always use the load data from the manual of the bullet mfg i.e. Sierra, Barnes etc., and seldom use the data from the powder mfg.

Indeed...

i reload to save money especially hunting the condor area lead free so i always use the middle recommended charge and learn to shoot instead of working up and looking for pressure signs that way im pretty safe. but i know thats not much help for most.

You may be missing out with that strategy. The idea behind working a load up is more about finding the sweet spot than max velocity. Often the best accuracy can be found at the edge of pressure signs. Running a mid power load works and in many guns is just fine. I like chasing that last bit of accuracy and just a tenth of a gr. can sometimes take a 1"gun to a sub moa gun.

Aeon said:
You may be missing out with that strategy. The idea behind working a load up is more about finding the sweet spot than max velocity. Often the best accuracy can be found at the edge of pressure signs. Running a mid power load works and in many guns is just fine. I like chasing that last bit of accuracy and just a tenth of a gr. can sometimes take a 1"gun to a sub moa gun.

Indeed...looking for the ultimate accuracy is my goal. The older I get the more I realize that velocity is overrated. Bullet placement and accuracy are the key to consistently taking game humanely. Speed kills but accuracy is deadly.

I agree with both statments im just not that good. It is always strange that you can find so many different loads for the same powder primer and bullet type.

Have you tried a ladder test, followed up with bullet seating depth? I ran a ladder test at 300 yds with all bullets about .0015 off the lands. The ladder test gets you your best accuracy node based on harmonics (looking for 3 consecutive shots with smallest amount of vertical spread). Then, once you pic the best 3 shot group, go with the charge in the middle. From there, reduce seating depth by .005 until you get the best horizontal group.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu