.308 ammo

8SteelTown

Looking to get some ammo for my .308. Gearing up for coyote. Does the grain count matter that much once you get over 150g? Any brands you guys would recommend or avoid? I have a Ruger American and I know all rounds are different in different guns. Don't have the $ flow to be buying tons of boxes of different rounds so if you guys could recommend one to try, I'd appreciate it.

Out of your Anerican the 150-170 gr will be fine. When I've shot factory loads I've never really had any problems with any of the big name manufacturers. Might want to stay away from the ball ammo. Save your brass. You can reload it better and cheaper than you can buy it. If you ever want to try out reloading for it hit me up.

Hallx7 said:
Out of your Anerican the 150-170 gr will be fine. When I've shot factory loads I've never really had any problems with any of the big name manufacturers. Might want to stay away from the ball ammo. Save your brass. You can reload it better and cheaper than you can buy it. If you ever want to try out reloading for it hit me up.

Thanks Hallx. Will do.

I'm currently shooting about the cheapest steel sleeve rounds right now and got my grouping to 3" at 200 yards from a standing position at the back of my truck.

Any un-obvious advantage of running 150 grain or lower vs 170 grain or higher for coyote?

Ballistics might be better for the 170s but not sure about that. A simple ballistics chart could verify that.

I think I'd stick to the 150s. They're both gonna wreak havoc on hides but 150 is plenty.

Nothing un-obvious I can think of. I usually don't start thinking about using the heavier bullets until shooting long distances 600+ yards. The 150ish shout be great for yotes.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu