A little help from Fine Firearms, or thoughts?

outdoordave

Jul 5, 2012
Murrieta, CA
I will be buying a new shotgun before the summer. Trying to be budget conscience so I've got a few things in mind. Any first hand knowledge would be cool. Debating between pump and semi auto. I already own a pump so leaning on semi, best bang for my buck is looking like the Weatherby sa-08. Its only been out about 5 years but people are saying very positive things about it, some saying they've put over 3000 rounds through it with no trouble. Only thing is changing the light cylinder for dove to the heavy for something like ducks. For pump its the 870, have a friend that's in law enforcement and he says they beat the crap out of them and still depend on them for their life. Budget is 700 (with tax and ffl). Any others I should look at? I am ready to buy if I find the right deal. Just trying not to be hasty because really before dove, quail and duck season my existing one will be fine.

OutdoorDave,

You have done your homework. Pumps are a bit cheaper and certainly more reliable. With today's technology the auto-loaders are very good but can be expensive. Here is a shop opinion. For the money, the Beretta 3901 MC3 SYNTHETIC is the best bang for the buck. Because of this post, I have just ordered a qty of 3 of these shotguns.

Give us a week and come down and take a peak. They will be $649.00 (out the door for $730.79) and are one of the least expensive auto-loaders on the market. They are reliable and shoot well. Stretch your budget $31 and you will be very happy.

Thanks, great info. Message me when they come in. My preference no matter what I buy will be synthetic stock. I will be down in a couple weeks for the turkey tune up. Biggest thing is I've got a shorter reach. Draw on my bow is 27" so a big part will be putting it to my shoulder and see how it feels.

Remington 11-87. Haven't had a jam since I've had it (3 years) lots of shots, I shoot 75-100 shells every Tuesday.

Hope you don't take this the wrong way Taft but the 1187 Remington (while it shoots good) comes back to the shop for repair more than any other shotgun we service. The gas system is weak and the "O" rings need to be replaced regularly (shot or not). Consider yourself lucky if you got a good one.

Just saying...

Me and my dad both, he's had his for like ever and has had nothing wrong with it. I've never had a problem, ever. Like I said I shoot 75-100 shells every Tuesday. But I guess luck just flows through me... We actually like em so much we have 4 or 5.

thanks Taft, I looked at the 1000 series and didn't see the best reviews and it is on the upper price range. I do like to hear the goods and the bads from people that's why I posted.

Remington still makes shotguns?

My buddy has this one, it's real nice.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-autoloading-930-all-purpose/85110

A friend of mine just purchased a low-end Weatherby semi-auto 20 Ga. shotgun. This was her first firearm purchase, and she new NOTHING about guns, so I volunteered to teach her.

Last October, I purchased the Beretta 3901 from Fine Firearms. Here's what I learned from both of these experiences.

I purchased the Beretta for a trip to Canada. I literally picked it up on Friday night, then jumped in a truck and headed for Canada the next afternoon. I didn't bring another gun. BIG mistake! The gun needed a couple hundred rounds through it before I could count on it to cycle reliably. So I was pretty frustrated when I tried to take a follow-up shot on birds, but the 2nd and 3rd rounds required me to slap the action closed because it only closed halfway. The gun shoots great now, but it does need that break-in period. The second thing that happened was that the front sight bead fell off, never to be found. Not a big deal, since I don't use it anyway, but worth mentioning. Finally, there is a roll pin in the action that tends to fall out (according to the good guys at Fine Firearms). On mine, it worked itself halfway out, but apparently, if it had fallen completely out, I would have been up a creek. The good thing is that Fine Firearms replaced the bead, and swaged the roll pin so that it will be less likely to come out, free of charge. Thanks, guys!

Now on to the Weatherby. I told the lady that she might need to put a couple hundred rounds through it if it was anything like my Beretta, and sure enough, it had feed problems. We noticed that it especially didn't like the Winchester shells she had purchased for it, while the Federal WalMart cheapies I had purchased worked much better. Now that we've put a couple hundred through it, I believe it's working much more reliably. I don't think we had any jams on our last shooting trip.

In summary, my thoughts are:
1. Both guns need a good breaking in.
2. Both guns seem to work well after the break-in.
3. If you choose the Beretta, watch out for loose sight beads, and especially, loose roll pins in the action.

Fortunately Don, your 3901Beretta is the only one we have had come back. But I am glad it is working good now! :D The 390 series and now the 400 series are arguably the finest auto-loaders on the planet.

The 3901 is a cost reduced Beretta. It has a Turkish barrel and is assembled in the US. No matter, it is a bargain and will go toe to toe with more expensive guns.

The new Beretta A400 20 gauge is by far the most amazing shotgun I have ever seen. It weighs 5 lbs.

Wow Don, your read was great. That is the first hand experiences I need to hear. Either way, I plan to by before mid summer with the expectatioin to break it in before dove season.

well, if anybody knows anything about guns, its NBK!!! hes my firearms dealer, the only one i go to. Ive bought quite a few firearms from him, and ive sent him many many others, and they were all happy with their service. Fine Firearms is my place to go :) :)

If you don't go with the Beretta that NBK suggested, go with an 870. Almost every police agency in the nation uses them. Why? They are bulletproof! I don't think there is a stronger shotgun on the market. It's simple, strong and will never let you down. It's also easy to get a second barrel for other uses.

Well ill chime in....I have a scattergun technology tactical 870 bought it used and way cheaper than I thought I could ever get one, not a single problem ever!! I also recently purchased a beretta 3901 and couldn't be any happier with its performance!! (Now if only the turkey would
Cooperate a bit more)...the 870 has literally thousands of shells through it with not a single issue, the 3901 has maybe a 100 +\- a few more with zero issue (just got it a few weeks ago)

You can't go wrong with either! Just FYI both were purchased through fine firearms and couldn't be happier with their great customer service!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu