A22 deer behavior question

Todd98SE

Feb 26, 2018
Hello all,

This is my first year hunting deer and i drew A22 which is what I wanted. I have a treestand over a decent sized open meadow at the top of a fairly steep ridge in the Lagunas. There is plenty of fresh deer sign and I get frequent pics on my game cameras so i know there are deer in the area but I never see anything when in my stand. I've been hunting 2-3 days a week after work and one morning a weekend since the season opened. I've been going to great lengths to control scent and noise but still nothing.

Wind is typically blowing perpendicular to the ridge i'm on and i have to climb up the backside "downwind" side of the mountain to get to my stand. Do you find deer typically like to bed on this downwind side or elsewhere? I feel like maybe i'm spooking them on the climb up to the stand? or maybe i've just been unlucky so far.

Any tips on deer behavior you've seen in the Lagunas? Best practices for treestand placement, etc?

Thanks,

If you are hunting the same deer stand every weekend. You have been patterned. Try other spots still Hunting. It will get better during the rut. Also is the wind in your face?
Or cross wind away from the shooting area.

I think its like fishing right place right time, had my cam out for a month near water only 4 days had deer at various times most around 9 am , one at noon, another at 6pm none at night, keep at it and good luck.

Last night I was in the stand by 5:00pm, at around 6:30 its getting dark fast i'm starting to get ready to gather up the equipment and come down when I finally see a deer moving along the tree/brush line directly in front of me at about 65 yards. He disappears behind another tree and then pops out to the right of me at roughly 50-60 yards, perfectly broadside with his head down in the low brush. I confirmed he's a shooter buck, decent 2x2 but at that range, in the fading light, and my knees shaking and adrenaline pumping I didn't feel comfortable taking a shot. He continues moving slowly behind some more trees and pops out again into the clearing directly behind my tree downwind at about 25-30 yards. I have a big tree branch right in my way so I have no way to even attempt a shot. He slowly keeps moving through with his head down so I assume he never winded me. I give him a few more minutes to possibly come back into view but he didn't so I loaded up quietly and headed down.

After last night i'm definitely pumped to get back out later this week and hunt hard until the 1st half of the season closes next week.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions so far, this deer hunting stuff is addictive!

I recomend try enter from diferent places , and use some deer urine doe p or buck urine , deer nose was best weapon they have, so any scent in your boots or in the car can spook deer, try to have a blind and hunt diferent areas, I almost see deer all days on my place but all does , sometimes like last week some fork or 3x3, but I have now 5 treestands and 3 blinds and I hunt diferent places if wind changes.

I recomend try enter from diferent places , and use some deer urine doe p or buck urine , deer nose was best weapon they have, so any scent in your boots or in the car can spook deer, try to have a blind and hunt diferent areas, I almost see deer all days on my place but all does , sometimes like last week some fork or 3x3, but I have now 5 treestands and 3 blinds and I hunt diferent places if wind changes.
X2

Reactions: Todd98SE
I hunt in an area that has free range cattle. I always drag my boots through the cow pies on my way in. If you have them close then try that too. I run into this same problem. You also have to watch “thermals.” In the morning when the sun is rising, watch the spider webs in the tree branches. When the sun heats up the air it will rise up the slopes and the terrain can some times funnel air in weird ways, perpendicular to the main direction of the wind. Sometimes if the wind is swirling, I will place a cow patty on the platform of my stand. Works pretty well for me but I don’t know if you have cows near your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Works pretty well for me but I don’t know if you have cows near your area.

I do lol. This beast wanted my head awhile back..
a163b5ed1448a602c0b6bbcedb238c03.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I would see lots bucks on my cameras so would my partner.
But every weekend. No luck..
With the deer stands.
I had more luck mixing it up at different locations in natural blinds.
Called in a few doe. With distress call. No luck with grunt calls.
LBMFDC0208.JPG

Hello all,

This is my first year hunting deer and i drew A22 which is what I wanted. I have a treestand over a decent sized open meadow at the top of a fairly steep ridge in the Lagunas. There is plenty of fresh deer sign and I get frequent pics on my game cameras so i know there are deer in the area but I never see anything when in my stand. I've been hunting 2-3 days a week after work and one morning a weekend since the season opened. I've been going to great lengths to control scent and noise but still nothing.

Wind is typically blowing perpendicular to the ridge i'm on and i have to climb up the backside "downwind" side of the mountain to get to my stand. Do you find deer typically like to bed on this downwind side or elsewhere? I feel like maybe i'm spooking them on the climb up to the stand? or maybe i've just been unlucky so far.

Any tips on deer behavior you've seen in the Lagunas? Best practices for treestand placement, etc?

Thanks,
Might as well buy a lottery ticket in the Lagunas. Very tough to hunt there because there is so much pressure. But if you are patient and spend enough time, you may get a shot. If you have deer on camera then you are in the right spot at least. Later in the year is the best as the weather changes and less hikers in the woods. Plus hunters with firearms in there when they should not be. Good luck.

Reactions: Todd98SE
I would see lots bucks on my cameras so would my partner.
But every weekend. No luck..
With the deer stands.
I had more luck mixing it up at different locations in natural blinds.
Called in a few doe. With distress call. No luck with grunt calls.
LBView attachment 36427
Just one time grunt call work for me in Laguna area 5 years a go, I have more sucess with doe or fawn call or doe bleat call .
I have same problem big bucks around early in the morning and late , best moments by far on the blinds , they change patterns when the rut start or I hope so. From treestand all I have this early season was does ans super small fork at 63 yds, I install treestands in summer, blinds I install a week before season, some people think blinds was better if you close back windows and keep open one with the mesh and just have 1 open for shooting lane , the wind that come on your back crash on your blind so deer never smell , and face wind is the best so I think in theory blind play wind better than treestands , and almost my treestands was not to high 3 17ft and 2 in the 21 ft.
I go today in the afternoon and check trailcam .

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I agree, at before the start of the season deer tracks every where, and well beaten. But after the start of the season very little tracks.. I have seen this also in other public lands, season starts all gone. But some get lucky.
Reason I believe is deer get pushed into them.
The reason I like the cold, wet rainy or snow is because, less hikers, less hunters and deer relax, and start moving. Plus the rut starts.
My issue is not finding deer but making the bowshot count.
In that kind of weather , range finder fails. Heavy wind makes shots harder.
Dexterity is not as good.
Cold weather messes with the reflexes. It is a lot harder.
Deer stands work, so do blinds. I know a few hunters who had good luck. But I lot younger and stronger.
Key to their success was location, location, location. .
Deal is they broke the rules by keeping their stands there, year after year. Until forestry would go in there
And take them down. And would Toss them into the trash. If one sees a stand taken down and left there it is probably an anti.
They don't take them out.
My opinion if there are a dozen stands in the same area. That will change deer behavior.
I try to pick areas with less pressure.

Last edited:
Just one time grunt call work for me in Laguna area 5 years a go, I have more sucess with doe or fawn call or doe bleat call

What bleat call do you use? Have you tried rattling with any success? Thinking of bringing some antlers with me this year.. I've gotten mixed reviews from D-16 hunters, some saying it works, others saying it doesn't.

What bleat call do you use? Have you tried rattling with any success? Thinking of bringing some antlers with me this year.. I've gotten mixed reviews from D-16 hunters, some saying it works, others saying it doesn't.

I had partner who used rattling.
But it was hit and miss.
It worked well at the mid west, white tails, but not so well for our muley.
I have tried a few times no real succes. Best luck I had is calling does with distress call. I have called 3 does in three different locations.
First times was by accident.
I heard coyotes and had a freind. Sitting in a natural blind.
I called, he was to shoot.
Instead call a doe within 40 yards.
Since we were well hinden.
See couldn't see or smell us.
She was lucky. It was the D16 general, the A22 was not in season.
I have not had any luck with grunts.
The bleat can call is to long.
It's a warning when it's to long.
It should be 3 short calls. Same for grunt 3 short grunts.
I have also tried deer doe urine.
Not much luck with it.
Best luck I have had is wind control
And sit still. But I do use home made
Scent control, local pine needle, white sage, oak leaves, eg I don't use deodorant, instead corn starch, keeps me from getting a rash, and dry. No smelly laundry or sweet smelly stuff. Helps keeps bugs off.
White sage helps with that too.
No luck with doe calls.
I seen turkey call scare deer away.
I think they associate with humans.
LB

I use the Grunt in a can and I use a stick bag both have called in deer never anything worth shooting though. I once called a doe and a spike in to litterllay 5 yards. I looked right and they were almost nose to nose with me.

I use rattling with not rsults , doe or fawn is the best , doe call with some fresh doe urine, make bucks more believe in a doe in heat was around, but just in the rut.
early season Fawn call is better for me.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu