A22

S

stikbrandon

Has anybody been out as of late ?....

I meant to get out this morning but I had the honey do list..

I hunted Friday and Saturday. Friday was just too windy where my stand is at but I love hunting the foggy/drizzly stuff. Saturday was perfect... didn't see a single deer either day. :-\

I hunted last Saturday the 8th and had 3-does and 2-fawns at 65 yards. Sunday I had a doe with twins at 5 yards. Can't tell you how long it's been since I've seen a buck! Hoping this Friday or Saturday things will finally come together...

I had been out to sea for a little bit and it was killing me knowing time is winding down. I headed out today to an area I never hunted but can see from the house. Parked and started the hike in, man it was a long hike and elevation climb I wasn't expecting. Overall enjoyed a new area and saw alot of promising sign including 3 does with fawns and 2 very small bucks, all were between 125-200 yards away. Headed back out in the morning.

Saw a lot of deer on Mt. Laguna on Saturday. Some really big does. Why do so many people bash that place for hunting? I've seen numerous does this year, a 5x5, 3x3, and 2x2 this season. Haven't gotten a shot yet, during the A-22 (missed the 2x2 on opening day of firearms season right outside the rec area). The fresh snow had them moving all over the place. I noticed that they were sticking to the steepest hillsides that had a combination of brush and pine trees, and next to the big rocks on the slopes. Every south facing slope was riddled with tracks and bedding areas. Thats where I'll be, every day I can get out there.

jlroberts100 said:
Saw a lot of deer on Mt. Laguna on Saturday. Some really big does. Why do so many people bash that place for hunting? I've seen numerous does this year, a 5x5, 3x3, and 2x2 this season. Haven't gotten a shot yet, during the A-22 (missed the 2x2 on opening day of firearms season right outside the rec area). The fresh snow had them moving all over the place. I noticed that they were sticking to the steepest hillsides that had a combination of brush and pine trees, and next to the big rocks on the slopes. Every south facing slope was riddled with tracks and bedding areas. Thats where I'll be, every day I can get out there.

Thanks for the intel. Might hit there one day next week. Trying to get one more day out before the season closes.

As for why people bash it, I don't think it's a negative about the hunting, so much as it is the number of hunters. I love hunting up there, see lots of game. But, I can also drive through the rec area, and spot 20 trucks parked on the sides of the road during any given weekend. Lots of pressure.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu