Any advice?

ktkheatsfan

Sep 25, 2013
I am looking for a good spot in San Diego to hunt turkey before Thanksgiving! If anyone knows a good spot so I can bring back a turkey for the family please let me know! Thanks!

I can give you some bad spots to hunt but no one will give up there good spots that easy. It takes countless hours of hiking and scouring the hills to get some good spots. So if your not willing to do that then you might try Vons.They are out there and there is plenty of time, so go find them. Good luck, and happy hunting. :)

Hey dude. Consider that even if someone wanted to give up their spot (which they don't) they wouldn't post it on the interwebs where everyone can see it, forever.

I'm not at all expert, but I'd say start studying topo maps of public land and then start exploring. You can hunt BLM and CNF lands without issue, but their borders are weird and not well marked. I bought a nice topo atlas of CNF at one of their field offices. I also recently found this site, which overlays boundaries on google topos.

http://www.fs.fed.us/locatormap/#

I have guided turkey hunts by SD they are $350. Give me a call if you want to know more 951-522-8002

Consider this; A good friend of mine grew up in Jackson Hole, WY and bow hunted elk there all his life.

A few years ago he moved out to San Diego, and tried his hand at turkey hunting.

He told me he NEVER hunted as hard for elk as he has for turkey.

So buy a map, pick a spot, and give it a go.

Just remember that fall/winter flocks will most likely not respond to your typical turkey calling. They are much more interested in food and water so look for that. Historically on public land, our turkeys tend to move onto private property as it gets colder, especially on cattle farms where live stock feed is out. I think in the 20 years of chasing our local birds, I have ran into public land winter birds only a few times but that doesn't mean you wont find them on public land. Check for tracks near water holes to see if its being used, winter birds wont venture too far away from cover, food, and water so if you see tracks near any of that you'll have a good chance of finding turkeys.

Good luck!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu